Resolution power of telescope lab (rayleigh criterion)

In summary, the lab on resolution power of a telescope involved placing a wire gauze in front of a sodium lamp and using a telescope with an adjustable vertical slit to observe it. The confusion arose when recording the slit width when the vertical wires disappear, but it is important to record it as accurately as possible. The wires disappear due to the central maximum coinciding with the first minimum, cancelling out the light sources between the wires. To calculate the wavelength from the measurements, the formula Wavelength = (D x a)/x can be used, and the resulting value can be compared to the true wavelength of the sodium lamp to validate the experiment.
jmher0403
I have done a lab on resolution power of a telescope.
a wire gauze was placed infront of sodium lamp and i used a telescope with adjustable vertical slit to look at it.

i was bit confused with the theory ..

1) I was told to record the slit width when the vertical wires just cease to be seen.
Do I take the record when it starts to disappear or when it fully disappears? It was really hard to tell the point where the dissapearance started. Any suggestions as to get more accurate data?

2) why would the vertical wires of the gauze disappear? I know the central maximum coinciding with first minimum but what's it got to do with the wires?? Is it because the light sources between the gauze wires coming together (max + min) canceled out so that the vertical wires are hidden?

3) I measured the distance between wires (x)
distance between gauze and the telescope (D)
width of slit (a)

and have equation

angular separation α = λ/ahow would I get the wavelength from the measurements so that I can compare the values with the real wavelength of sodium lamp (590nm) to see the validity of my experiment?I tried drawing the light source diagram

and came up with tan(α) = x/D but when I do that, the wavelength I get is really off the true wavelength of 590nm.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) When recording the slit width when the vertical wires just cease to be seen, you should take a very close look and try to record it as accurately as possible when the wires start to disappear. This might require some practice and patience but it will ensure that you get more accurate data.2) The vertical wires of the gauze disappear because the central maximum of the diffraction pattern coincides with the first minimum, causing the light sources between the wires to cancel each other out, making them appear hidden.3) To calculate the wavelength from your measurements, you can use the formula: Wavelength = (D x a)/x where D is the distance between the gauze and the telescope, a is the width of the slit, and x is the distance between the wires.By substituting in your values for D, a, and x, you should be able to get an estimate of the wavelength. You can then compare this to the true wavelength of the sodium lamp (590nm) to check the validity of your experiment.

Related to Resolution power of telescope lab (rayleigh criterion)

1. What is the resolution power of a telescope?

The resolution power of a telescope refers to its ability to distinguish between two closely spaced objects in the sky. In other words, it is the smallest angular separation between two objects that can be detected by the telescope.

2. How is the resolution power of a telescope measured?

The resolution power of a telescope is measured using the Rayleigh criterion, which states that the two objects can be distinguished if the center of one object is at least one wavelength of the light source away from the center of the other object.

3. What factors affect the resolution power of a telescope?

The resolution power of a telescope is affected by the diameter of its primary lens or mirror, the wavelength of the light being observed, and the atmospheric conditions (such as turbulence) that can distort the incoming light.

4. Can the resolution power of a telescope be improved?

Yes, the resolution power of a telescope can be improved by increasing the diameter of its primary lens or mirror, using shorter wavelengths of light, and utilizing techniques such as adaptive optics to compensate for atmospheric distortion.

5. How does the resolution power of a telescope impact its ability to view distant objects?

The resolution power of a telescope is crucial for viewing distant objects, as it determines the level of detail that can be observed. A telescope with high resolution power will be able to see finer details and structures in distant objects compared to a telescope with lower resolution power.