Resolving Forces - Shear and Bending Moment -

In summary: Oh come on man, i think you're being a bit stiff there, not even a little help? i don't have a scanner so i couldn't upload my work, it doesn't matter anyway i worked it out, thanks anyway.In summary, this student is looking for help with a homework problem and is not getting any help from the person they are speaking to. The student has already worked out the equations and is just looking for someone to point them in the right direction.
tomygun_123
Resolving Forces - Shear and Bending Moment - :)

Homework Statement

The data table and associated questions are rather complex, if you have the time it would be much appreciated if you could have a look at the attachment and provide me with a solution or point me in the right, i just can't solve this question and i know there will be a similar one like it on my exam.

Homework Equations

This is second year engineering mechanics.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have come to find some answers however my lecturer swears by them being incorrect and he won't post a solution for me until he writes them up and distributes a solution booklet for everyone.. it's really unhelpful and i feel i need to get my head around this topic now before it's too late.

btw I've already derived the forces in qstn a)
Also i am capable of doing part d) but obviously i need the previous parts to be correct in order to complete the diagram. (Perhaps my part 'a' is wrong).
I just can't for the life of me equilibrate the moment force and Force2.

Thanks everyone :)

Attachments

• Question - Forces.pdf
    142.3 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

btw I've already derived the forces in qstn a)
Also i am capable of doing part d) but obviously i need the previous parts to be correct in order to complete the diagram. (Perhaps my part 'a' is wrong).
I just can't for the life of me equilibrate the moment force and Force2.

Hi tomygun_123, welcome to PF. Please show your work so far.

Mapes said:
Hi tomygun_123, welcome to PF. Please show your work so far.

hey thanks for the reply, i'll get a hold of a scanner today and upload my work, thanks.

Well i ended up working it out anyway, couldn't find a scanner, but why didn't anyone help? lol at least could have pointed me in the right direction?

tomygun_123 said:
Well i ended up working it out anyway, couldn't find a scanner, but why didn't anyone help? lol at least could have pointed me in the right direction?

"Perhaps my part 'a' is wrong...I just can't for the life of me equilibrate the moment force and Force2." This is not enough information to help without seeing your calculations.

Mapes said:
"Perhaps my part 'a' is wrong...I just can't for the life of me equilibrate the moment force and Force2." This is not enough information to help without seeing your calculations.

Oh come on man, i think you're being a bit stiff there, not even a little help? i don't have a scanner so i couldn't upload my work, it doesn't matter anyway i worked it out, thanks anyway.

FAQ: Resolving Forces - Shear and Bending Moment -

1. What is the difference between shear and bending moment in resolving forces?

Shear and bending moment are both types of internal forces that can occur in a structural element. Shear refers to the force that acts parallel to the cross-sectional area of the element, while bending moment refers to the force that causes the element to bend or rotate. In simple terms, shear is the force that tries to cut the element in half, while bending moment is the force that tries to bend it.

2. How do I calculate the shear and bending moment of a structural element?

The shear and bending moment of a structural element can be calculated by analyzing the external loads and supports acting on the element. These calculations involve using equations and diagrams, and can vary depending on the type of element and its loading conditions. It is important to have a thorough understanding of the principles and equations involved in order to accurately calculate these forces.

3. What are some common applications of resolving forces in engineering?

Resolving forces, specifically shear and bending moment, are important concepts in structural engineering. They are used in the design and analysis of various types of structures, such as beams, columns, and trusses. These forces also play a crucial role in determining the strength and stability of a structure, and are essential in ensuring the safety and functionality of buildings, bridges, and other structures.

4. How do shear and bending moment affect the design of a structural element?

Shear and bending moment have a significant impact on the design of a structural element. These forces determine the maximum stress and deflection that the element can withstand, which in turn affects the overall design and material selection. Engineers must carefully consider these forces in order to ensure that the structural element is able to withstand the expected loads and maintain its integrity.

5. What are some methods for reducing shear and bending moment in a structural element?

There are various techniques that can be used to reduce shear and bending moment in a structural element, depending on the specific design and loading conditions. These methods may include adding reinforcements, changing the shape or size of the element, or using alternative materials. It is important for engineers to carefully consider the most effective and efficient methods for reducing these forces in order to optimize the overall design of the structure.