Resolving Vectors for Electric Charges

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two point charges and calculating the electric field strength at a point P. The conversation also touches on using trigonometric relations to find the components of the resultant vector. After some calculations, the correct answer is determined to be 6.2284x104.
physicsfun_12

Homework Statement

Hi there, I am having a lot of trouble with this problem. Any help much appriciated.

Thanks inadvance.

Two point charges, each of 4x10-6C are placed 1m away at points A and B respectively. Calculate the electric field strength at a point P, which is a distance of 1m from both A and B in the cases when:

i) both charges are positive
ii) one is positive and one is negative

Homework Equations

E=kQ/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok well I know that I need to work out a resultant, however I am not sure whether to use sin or cos, and even then how to use them to get the correct answer!

Thanks again for any input

Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
When you separate a single vector into two perpendicular components, the three lines form a triangle, yes? Then you can easily apply your trigonometric relations easily with reference to the diagram. E sin theta would give the component opposite to the angle, while E cos theta gives the component adjacent to the angle used.

Oh I see, so since the x components would cancel, you would just double the y component which is cos30*the elctric field strength calculated

i.e. 6.28104NC-1

Thanks alot, do you know if the answer I have calculated is correct?

That's for part i) I presume?
My answer appears to differ from yours from the 3rd significant digit; what value are you using for k?

Hello, I used 8.99x109 for k.

Thanks again!

Mike

Hmm...press your calculator again, you appear to have read some digits wrongly in the answer you provided above.

You are quite right!

I got 6.2284x104 this time!

Related to Resolving Vectors for Electric Charges

1. What is the purpose of resolving vectors for electric charges?

The purpose of resolving vectors for electric charges is to determine the magnitude and direction of the electric field at a given point in space. This is important in understanding the behavior of electric charges and the interactions between them.

2. How do you resolve vectors for electric charges?

To resolve vectors for electric charges, you must first determine the components of the electric field in the x, y, and z directions. This can be done using mathematical equations and trigonometry. Once the components are known, the electric field vector can be expressed as the sum of its individual components.

3. What are the units for electric field vectors?

The units for electric field vectors are Newtons per Coulomb (N/C) or Volts per meter (V/m). These units represent the strength of the electric field at a given point in space.

4. How do you use resolved vectors to calculate the force on a charged object?

The force on a charged object can be calculated by multiplying the charge of the object by the electric field at its location. This can be done using the equation F = qE, where F is the force, q is the charge, and E is the electric field vector.

5. What are some practical applications of resolving vectors for electric charges?

Resolving vectors for electric charges is important in many areas of science and technology, including electrical engineering, physics, and telecommunications. It is used to analyze and design circuits, understand the behavior of electromagnetic waves, and predict the behavior of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields.

Back