Resonance of a Parallel LCR network

In summary, the conversation discusses the resonance peak of a parallel LCR network and the factors that affect it, such as increasing resistance and the correct expression for the resonant frequency. The concept of resonance is defined and explained in terms of impedance and complex numbers. The conversation also touches upon finding the resonant frequency equations and the resonant impedance when the imaginary part is zero.
nathangrand
Why does the resonance peak of a parallel LCR network (capacitor in parallel with in-series inductor and resisitor) get smaller in amplitude with increasing resistance? I have impedance/DC resistance plotted against frequency.

I'm really not sure about how to go about showing this, preferably mathematically. At resonance is the reactance 0, implying the impedance is just the resistance?

Also, what is the correct expression for the resonant frequency of this circuit? I get w[tex]^{2}[/tex] = w0[tex]^{2}[/tex] - y[tex]^{2}[/tex] when y=R/2L and w0= 1/ [tex]\sqrt{LC}[/tex] but I've seen different expressions, such as under other configurations here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RLC_circuit

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Write up the impedance of the LRC circuit. Resonance is usually defined as the frequency where the magnitude of impedance is maximum(parallel circuit) or minimum (series circuit). But sometimes it is defined as the frequency where the impedance is real, the imaginary part being zero. Are you familiar with complex numbers?

ehild

Yeah I'm familiar with complex numbers. I can show the various how to get some of the resonance frequency equations - its the first part of my question I'm more stuck with

If you define resonance when the imaginary part is zero, w^2=1/(LC) holds for the resonant angular frequency. What is the resonant impedance then?

ehild

Last edited:

The resonance peak of a parallel LCR network decreases in amplitude with increasing resistance due to the effect of damping. Damping is the dissipation of energy in a system, in this case, the dissipation of energy in the form of heat due to the resistance in the circuit. As the resistance increases, more energy is dissipated in the circuit, resulting in a decrease in the amplitude of the resonance peak.

Mathematically, at resonance, the reactance of the inductor and the capacitor cancel each other out, resulting in a purely resistive impedance. This can be expressed as Z = R, where Z is the impedance, R is the resistance, and at resonance, the reactance (X) is equal to 0. This means that the impedance is solely determined by the resistance, and as the resistance increases, the impedance also increases, leading to a decrease in the amplitude of the resonance peak.

The correct expression for the resonant frequency of a parallel LCR circuit is f = 1/2π√(LC), where f is the resonant frequency, L is the inductance, and C is the capacitance. This can also be expressed in terms of angular frequency (ω) as ω = 1/√(LC). The expression you have mentioned (w^2 = w0^2 - y^2) is for a series RLC circuit, where y represents the damping factor. The resonant frequency for a series RLC circuit is slightly different from a parallel RLC circuit and is given by f = 1/2π√(LC - R^2/4L^2).

I hope this helps to clarify your doubts. Please let me know if you need further clarification.

Related to Resonance of a Parallel LCR network

1. What is resonance in a parallel LCR network?

Resonance in a parallel LCR (inductor-capacitor-resistor) network occurs when the capacitive reactance and inductive reactance cancel each other out, resulting in a purely resistive circuit. This causes the current in the circuit to be at its maximum, while the voltage across the components is at its minimum.

2. How is resonance frequency calculated in a parallel LCR network?

The resonance frequency of a parallel LCR network can be calculated using the formula: fr = 1 / (2π√(LC)), where fr is the resonance frequency, L is the inductance in henries, and C is the capacitance in farads.

3. What is the significance of the quality factor (Q) in a parallel LCR network?

The quality factor (Q) in a parallel LCR network represents the ratio of the energy stored to the energy dissipated in the circuit. A higher Q value indicates a more efficient circuit, while a lower Q value indicates a less efficient circuit with more energy losses.

4. How does changing the values of L, C, or R affect the resonance in a parallel LCR network?

Changing the values of L, C, or R can affect the resonance in a parallel LCR network in different ways. Increasing the value of L or C will decrease the resonance frequency, while increasing the value of R will increase the resonance frequency. Additionally, a higher R value will result in a lower Q value and a less sharp resonance peak.

5. What are some real-world applications of parallel LCR networks?

Parallel LCR networks have various applications in electronics, such as in radio tuners, bandpass filters, and audio equalizers. They are also used in electrical power systems to control voltage and current in alternating current (AC) circuits. Additionally, parallel LCR networks can be found in electronic instruments and sensors that require precise frequency response.