Resonant Frequency shift of bimorph piezo structure

In summary: Your name]In summary, the speaker has fabricated bimorph piezoelectric shear stress sensors and observed resonant frequency shifts and impedance changes when air flow is applied. They suspect a damping effect from shear force on the sensor, but are unsure how to prove this with electromechanical or mathematical modeling. They are seeking input and suggestions from others in the field to further investigate their hypothesis.
bright1117
Hi, folk~

I fabricated bimorph piezoelectric shear stress sensors.

When air flow applied, there were resonant frequency shifts to left side (decreasing) and impedance decrement in resonant frequency as well .

So even though I am suspecting that kinds of results as because of damping effect (from shear force) on the Piezo sensor, I am not sure my hypothesis would be correct and how do prove my idea with electromechanical (or mathematical) modeling.

If you guys have another ideas or something helpful comments, please let me know..HELP ME PLZ...

Thank you in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your interesting results with us. It sounds like you have fabricated some bimorph piezoelectric shear stress sensors and have observed some interesting responses when air flow is applied. Your hypothesis that the results could be due to a damping effect from shear force on the sensor is a valid one.

To further investigate and prove your hypothesis, I would suggest using electromechanical modeling. This would involve creating a mathematical model of your sensor and simulating the effects of shear force on it. This will allow you to compare the simulated results with your experimental results and see if they match up.

Another approach you could take is to conduct further experiments with your sensor, varying the air flow and measuring the resulting resonant frequency shifts and impedance changes. This will help you gather more data and strengthen your hypothesis.

Additionally, you could consult with other experts in the field and get their insights and suggestions. They may have encountered similar issues and could offer helpful advice.

Overall, it is important to continue exploring and testing your hypothesis in order to gain a better understanding of the underlying mechanisms causing the observed results. I wish you all the best in your research and hope you are able to find a satisfactory explanation for your findings.

Related to Resonant Frequency shift of bimorph piezo structure

1. What is a resonant frequency shift?

A resonant frequency shift refers to the change in the natural frequency of a system due to external factors such as applied forces or changes in physical properties.

2. How does a bimorph piezo structure work?

A bimorph piezo structure is made up of two layers of piezoelectric material that are bonded together. When an electric field is applied, one layer expands while the other contracts, causing the structure to bend or vibrate. This bending motion can be used for various applications such as sensing, actuation, and energy harvesting.

3. What factors can cause a resonant frequency shift in a bimorph piezo structure?

There are several factors that can cause a resonant frequency shift in a bimorph piezo structure, including changes in temperature, applied forces, and material properties. Additionally, the geometry and dimensions of the structure can also affect its resonant frequency.

4. How is the resonant frequency of a bimorph piezo structure measured?

The resonant frequency of a bimorph piezo structure can be measured using various techniques such as impedance analysis, frequency response analysis, and laser Doppler vibrometry. These methods involve applying an external force or voltage to the structure and measuring the resulting vibration or electrical response.

5. What are the applications of resonant frequency shift in bimorph piezo structures?

Bimorph piezo structures are commonly used in sensors and actuators, where the resonant frequency shift can be used to detect changes in environmental conditions or to generate precise movements. They are also used in energy harvesting devices, where the resonant frequency shift can be harnessed to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy.