Rest energy of the electron - calculation discrepancy

In summary, the rest energy of an electron is the amount of energy it possesses at rest, and is approximately 0.511 MeV. The discrepancy in its calculation is due to different methods and assumptions used, and it can be calculated using the equation E=mc^2. The rest energy is significant in understanding electron behavior and has applications in technology and particle studies. The discrepancy has not been fully resolved despite ongoing research and advancements.
Freezeline
When I use E=mc2 to calc. the rest energy of an electron, I get .512Mev not .511Mev. I am using 9.109x10-31 kg for the rest mass of an electron and 2.9979x10^8 m/s for the speed of light in a vacuum.
Can anyone tell me why there ís a discrepancy between my results and the accepted answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you using as the conversion factor between Joules and Mev?

You found my mistake. I was using 1.6x10-19joules equals 1 eV, instead of 1.602x10-19.
Thank you for your help.

FAQ: Rest energy of the electron - calculation discrepancy

1. What is the rest energy of an electron?

The rest energy of an electron is the amount of energy that an electron possesses when it is at rest. It is a fundamental constant of nature and is approximately equal to 0.511 MeV (megaelectron volts).

2. Why is there a discrepancy in the calculation of the rest energy of an electron?

The discrepancy in the calculation of the rest energy of an electron is due to the use of different methods and assumptions in the calculation process. Some methods may take into account certain factors, such as the electron's motion or its interaction with other particles, while others may not, resulting in variations in the final calculated value.

3. How is the rest energy of an electron calculated?

The rest energy of an electron can be calculated using the famous equation E=mc2, where E represents energy, m represents mass, and c represents the speed of light. By substituting the known mass of an electron (9.109 x 10-31 kg) into this equation and converting the final value from joules to MeV, we can determine the rest energy of an electron.

4. What is the significance of the rest energy of an electron?

The rest energy of an electron is significant because it is the basis for understanding the behavior of electrons in various physical processes and phenomena. It also plays a crucial role in the development of modern technologies, such as nuclear energy and medical imaging, as well as in the study of subatomic particles and the structure of matter.

5. Has the discrepancy in the calculation of the rest energy of an electron been resolved?

While there have been several efforts to reconcile the discrepancy in the calculation of the rest energy of an electron, it is still a topic of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community. New techniques and technologies are constantly being developed to improve the accuracy of calculations, but it is unlikely that a complete resolution will be reached in the near future.