Resultant force on the piston at the end of stroke

In summary, the conversation is about finding the correct answer for a problem involving SHM and decelerating force. The person asking the question initially got a double of the given answer, but upon further inspection, it was found that they had used the incorrect crank radius. The correct solution involves finding the tangential velocity and centripetal acceleration, which ultimately leads to the correct decelerating force.
kelvin macks

Homework Statement

my question is on part a , the ans is 4260N . but my answer is double of the ans given. why I'm wrong? the working is shown in the photo.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG_20140616_083027[1].jpg
    IMG_20140616_083027[1].jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
kelvin macks said:

Homework Statement

my question is on part a , the ans is 4260N . but my answer is double of the ans given. why I'm wrong? the working is shown in the photo.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The net force acting in an SHM is F=-kx...

You can find k by using the formula of frequency of an SHM.

You've maybe put 0.12 m as the crank radius when it should be 0.06 m
r = crank radius = 0.06 metres
w = crank rotation rate = 376.99112 rad / sec

Find the tangential velocity (v) from :
v = w * r
v = 376.99112 * 0.06
v = 22.619 m/s (ANSWER b)

Find the centripetal acceleration (a) :
a = v ² / r
a = 8,527.338 (m/s)/s

The decelerating force (f) = m * a
f = 0.5 * 8,527.338 N
f = 4,263.67 N (ANSWER a)

dean barry said:
You've maybe put 0.12 m as the crank radius when it should be 0.06 m
r = crank radius = 0.06 metres
w = crank rotation rate = 376.99112 rad / sec

Find the tangential velocity (v) from :
v = w * r
v = 376.99112 * 0.06
v = 22.619 m/s (ANSWER b)

Find the centripetal acceleration (a) :
a = v ² / r
a = 8,527.338 (m/s)/s

The decelerating force (f) = m * a
f = 0.5 * 8,527.338 N
f = 4,263.67 N (ANSWER a)

Dude, complete solutions aren't allowed here... :rolleyes:

I would first check the accuracy of the calculations and measurements used in obtaining the resultant force. I would also review the equations and principles used in the solution to ensure they are applied correctly.

If the calculations and equations are found to be correct, I would then consider other factors that may have affected the result, such as friction or other external forces acting on the piston. I would also check for any errors in units or conversions that may have led to the discrepancy in the answer.

Furthermore, I would suggest rechecking the solution and possibly seeking guidance from a teacher or peer to identify any potential mistakes or misunderstandings in the process. It is important to carefully review all steps and assumptions made in the solution to determine the cause of the discrepancy and correct it.

In science, it is crucial to have precise and accurate results, so I would encourage the student to continue working on the problem and seeking assistance if needed to reach the correct answer. Additionally, I would emphasize the importance of double-checking all calculations and using proper units and conversions in future problem-solving to avoid similar errors.

FAQ: Resultant force on the piston at the end of stroke

1. What is the resultant force on the piston at the end of stroke?

The resultant force on the piston at the end of stroke is the net force acting on the piston at the end of its movement. This force is a combination of all the forces acting on the piston, including the pressure from the fluid, the weight of the piston, and any other external forces.

2. How is the resultant force calculated?

The resultant force can be calculated by summing all the forces acting on the piston, taking into account their direction and magnitude. This can be done using vector addition or by using the equation F = P x A, where F is the resultant force, P is the pressure, and A is the area of the piston.

3. What factors affect the resultant force on the piston?

The resultant force on the piston can be affected by various factors such as the pressure of the fluid, the area of the piston, the weight of the piston, and any external forces acting on it. Changes in these factors can alter the resultant force and affect the performance of the piston.

4. How does the resultant force impact the motion of the piston?

The resultant force on the piston determines the acceleration and velocity of the piston. A greater resultant force will result in a faster motion of the piston, while a smaller resultant force will result in a slower motion. The direction of the resultant force also determines the direction of the piston's motion.

5. How can the resultant force on the piston be optimized?

To optimize the resultant force on the piston, engineers can adjust the design of the piston, such as its size and weight, and the pressure and properties of the fluid. By carefully considering these factors, the resultant force can be optimized to achieve the desired performance of the piston.