Resultant force projected along a line

In summary: Notice first that \sqrt{0.06} = \frac{1}{10}\sqrt{6}. Next, consider that UAD usually means "the unit vector from A to D". By using RDA as F, instead of RAD, you've calulated the opposite and hence have a sign error.
U1021981

Homework Statement

(i) Find the resultant force acting at point D and write it in Cartesian form. (Note that CD is parallel to the y-axis, the 40N force acts parallel to the z-axis and the 30N force is parallel to the x-axis.)

(ii) Find the magnitude of the projected component of the resultant force acting along the line AD.

Image of problem is attached.

Homework Equations

(i) Unsure about calculating resultant force
(ii) Find Unit vector of UAD and find the dot product of UAD and FR from (i)

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) Unsure if resultant force at point D is simply F1= (-30i) and F2= (-40k) so FR= (-30i - 40k) (Magnitude 50N) ?

(ii) UAD = (-0.2/0.245)i + (-0.1/0.245)j + (0.1/0.245)k

Then F.UAD = (Fi)(-0.2/0.245) + (Fj)(-0.1/0.245) + (Fk)(0.1/0.245)

Thanks for your help,

Tim

Attachments

• Q3.36.jpg
    Q3.36.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 655
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
U1021981 said:
(i) Unsure if resultant force at point D is simply F1= (-30i) and F2= (-40k) so FR= (-30i - 40k) (Magnitude 50N) ?

(ii) UAD = (-0.2/0.245)i + (-0.1/0.245)j + (0.1/0.245)k

Then F.UAD = (Fi)(-0.2/0.245) + (Fj)(-0.1/0.245) + (Fk)(0.1/0.245)

You have a sign error in your unit vector UAD, and I would recommend you include the units (Newtons in this case) in your expression for force and use exact numbers in your calculations. I get [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}(2\mathbf{i}+\mathbf{j}-\mathbf{k})[/itex] for UAD.

You have a sign error in your unit vector UAD, and I would recommend you include the units (Newtons in this case) in your expression for force and use exact numbers in your calculations. I get (1/√6)(2i+j−k) for UAD.

How did you calculate this?

I have used u = F(Coord)/F(magnitude) = (Fx/F)i + (Fy/F)j + (Fz/F)k

F (aka RDA) = (XA-XD)+(YA-YD)+(ZA-ZD)
= (0-0.2)+(0-0.1)+(0-(-0.1))
= -0.2i - 0.1j + 0.1k
magnitude = √0.06

Which is how I have got:

UDA = (-0.2/0.245)i + (-0.1/0.245)j + (0.1/0.245)k

Could you please outline the approach/steps that you believe I should take to solve the problem so I can get a better understanding.

Thanks for your reply,

Tim

U1021981 said:

= -0.2i - 0.1j + 0.1k
magnitude = √0.06

Which is how I have got:

UDA = (-0.2/0.245)i + (-0.1/0.245)j + (0.1/0.245)kCould you please outline the approach/steps that you believe I should take to solve the problem so I can get a better understanding.

Thanks for your reply,

Tim

Just on top of that, you have the same answers 2/√6 = .2/√.06

except in the drawing it shows that the pipe is +ve 0.2m (where you have -0.2m) and that if the line is in fact A to D then does it not share this property?

U1021981 said:

= -0.2i - 0.1j + 0.1k
magnitude = √0.06

Notice first that [itex]\sqrt{0.06} = \frac{1}{10}\sqrt{6}[/itex]. Next, consider that UAD usually means "the unit vector from A to D". By using RDA as F, instead of RAD, you've calulated the opposite and hence have a sign error.

Related to Resultant force projected along a line

What is a resultant force projected along a line?

A resultant force projected along a line is the sum of all the forces acting on an object in a specific direction. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of each force to determine the overall effect on the object.

How is the resultant force projected along a line calculated?

The resultant force projected along a line is calculated using vector addition. This involves adding the x and y components of each force to determine the overall x and y components of the resultant force. The magnitude and direction of the resultant force can then be calculated using trigonometric functions.

What is the importance of calculating the resultant force projected along a line?

Calculating the resultant force projected along a line is important in understanding the overall motion of an object. It helps determine whether the object will accelerate, decelerate, or maintain a constant velocity in a specific direction.

What happens if the resultant force projected along a line is zero?

If the resultant force projected along a line is zero, then the object is in a state of equilibrium. This means that all the forces acting on the object are balanced and there is no overall change in its motion.

Can the resultant force projected along a line be negative?

Yes, the resultant force projected along a line can be negative. This indicates that the overall force is acting in the opposite direction of the chosen line. It is important to consider the direction of the resultant force to accurately describe the motion of an object.

Back