Resultant Velocity of a Projectile

In summary, the arrow falls down and hits a target. The arrow takes 2 seconds to reach the target and the resultant velocity is 92.1m/s. The angle that the arrow makes with the vertical is found out to be 77.7°.
malti001

Homework Statement

An archer stationed at the edge of a cliff shoots an arrow horizontally at 90ms^-1. The arrow falls down and hits a target. Assuming that the arrow is shot from a height of 20m, calculate:

i. How long it takes the arrow to reach the target. (done)
ii. How far horizontally the target is from the base of the cliff. (done)
iii. The resultant velocity at impact and the angle this makes with the vertical. Mention one assumption made.

Homework Equations

SUVAT equations:

436357594271ec28379aa9b0e6342b5a.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Parts i. and ii. were basically tackled by splitting the problem in half via resolving components vertically and horizontally. Time taken for the arrow was found to be 2s and the target was found to be 180m away from the base of the cliff.

What confuses me in part iii. is the assumption I have to make. I know that resultant velocity is the resultant vector from the horizontal and vertical components, and that the angle is found by resolving the vector diagram.

Am I missing something obvious? Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're doing it right bro..
Maybe by the 'assumptions' they mean some basic assumptions like neglecting resistance by air, uniform gravity, etc.

Yeah, negligible air resistance is an assumption. (my physics course doesn't feature air resistance at all) But how is this going to help me in finding the resultant velocity at impact?

Well there's no horizontal acceleration, so you can take the final horizontal velocity to be 90 m/s.

You can take the final vertical velocity to be ##\vec{a} Δt##.

The resultant velocity would then be : ##\vec{v}_R = \sqrt{ (v_{F_V})^2 +(v_{F_H})^2 }##

Then to get the direction, make your triangle.

I think I get it now. The only acceleration present is the downward acceleration due to gravity so obviously the horizontal acceleration would be 0.

Since impact occurs when t=2s, I made a triangle with 90m/s as the horizontal component and 19.6m/s as the vertical component. This is since after 1s, it's accelerating at 9.81m/s per second and thus after 2s, it becomes 19.6m/s (per second). Resultant Velocity was then worked out to be 92.1m/s and the angle that it makes with the vertical was found out to be 77.7°.

This is better summed up in this diagram (it has different numbers though, but still relevant)

u3l2c1.gif

Does any of the above make sense? Lastly, cheers for helping out guys :)

Last edited:
malti001 said:
This is since after 1s, it's accelerating at 9.81m/s per second and thus after 2s, it becomes 19.6m/s (per second).

There seems a small ambiguity in that sentence.
Can you find the resultant velocity and angle with vertical after 1.3 sec?
Just to check if you really got it! :smile:

Related to Resultant Velocity of a Projectile

What is the definition of resultant velocity?

Resultant velocity is the overall or final velocity of an object after all other velocities acting on it have been taken into account. It takes into consideration both the magnitude and direction of the multiple velocities.

How is the resultant velocity of a projectile calculated?

The resultant velocity of a projectile is calculated by using vector addition. This involves breaking down the individual velocities into their x and y components, and then adding them together to get the final resultant velocity.

What factors can affect the resultant velocity of a projectile?

The resultant velocity of a projectile can be affected by factors such as initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and external forces such as wind. The mass and shape of the projectile can also play a role in determining the resultant velocity.

What is the difference between resultant velocity and average velocity?

Resultant velocity takes into account the final velocity of an object, while average velocity is the total displacement over a given time period. Resultant velocity is a vector quantity, while average velocity is a scalar quantity.

How is the resultant velocity of a projectile used in real-world applications?

The resultant velocity of a projectile is used in various real-world applications such as ballistics, sports, and transportation. It helps in determining the trajectory and accuracy of projectiles, as well as the speed and direction of moving objects.