Resultant Vorces and Moment (aircraft problem)

In summary: The y-component will add the Tcos15 force in the y-direction to the 2TCos15 force in the x-direction, for a total of 4TCos15. This results in a clockwise moment arm of 4m*T or 12.5m.
clickcaptain

Homework Statement

The directions of the two thrust vectors of an aircraft can be independently changed from the conventional forward direction within limits. For the thrust configuration shown, determine the equivalent force-couple system at point O. Then replace this force-couple system by a single force and specify the point on the x-axis through which the line of action this resultant passes. These results are vital to assessing design performance.

IMG_0214.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the resultant force from the two thrust vectors

Fx = T + Tcos15
Fy = Tsin15

R = Fx + Fy = T*2.225

but after this I'm stuck on what to do, am i supposed to find the moment or set this equal to the moment?

Physics news on Phys.org
clickcaptain said:

Homework Statement

The directions of the two thrust vectors of an aircraft can be independently changed from the conventional forward direction within limits. For the thrust configuration shown, determine the equivalent force-couple system at point O. Then replace this force-couple system by a single force and specify the point on the x-axis through which the line of action this resultant passes. These results are vital to assessing design performance.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the resultant force from the two thrust vectors

Fx = T + Tcos15
Fy = Tsin15

R = Fx + Fy = T*2.225

but after this I'm stuck on what to do, am i supposed to find the moment or set this equal to the moment?

I think you need to assess the forces about the point "O".

You are given the dimensions of the points at which these forces act relative to O. There looks to be both a forward thrust and a moment associated with the result.

As to your first attempt, the force vectors will not add simply in the way that you have shown. (Besides the 2.25 looks to be calculated wrong in any event as you have managed to turn 2T of Thrust into 2.25T.)

So do i need to calculate the moment about the point "O"?

My plan of action was to find the resultant force and then set that equal to the moment

clickcaptain said:
So do i need to calculate the moment about the point "O"?

I think you need to calculate the contribution to the moment that is made by the forces about O.

There is of course the components of force that go to forward motion that will contribute to velocity. Those would be the X components - at least the ones that balance out against moment at O in the x direction.

i have to keep the resultant forces broken up into Rx and Ry so how do i use that to figure out the moment?

clickcaptain said:
i have to keep the resultant forces broken up into Rx and Ry so how do i use that to figure out the moment?

Resolve the forces in the x-direction. The x-components of each create a moment about O acting on either side at a distance of 3M.

So you have 2 Thrusts of T*Cos15 that add together and point forward giving 2TCos15 forward thrust. You also have a clockwise contribution to moment about O of 3m*T - TCos15 or 3m*T*(1-cos15).

Figure then what the y-component does? What contribution does it make? What moment arm?

FAQ: Resultant Vorces and Moment (aircraft problem)

1. What are resultant forces and moments in an aircraft problem?

Resultant forces and moments refer to the overall forces and torques acting on an aircraft, taking into account all the individual forces and moments acting on different parts of the aircraft. These forces and moments affect the aircraft's movement and stability during flight.

2. How do resultant forces and moments affect an aircraft's flight?

Resultant forces and moments can affect an aircraft's flight in several ways. For example, they can influence the direction and speed of the aircraft, as well as its stability and maneuverability. They can also cause changes in the aircraft's attitude, altitude, and orientation.

3. What factors contribute to resultant forces and moments in an aircraft problem?

There are several factors that contribute to resultant forces and moments in an aircraft problem. These include the weight of the aircraft, thrust from the engines, lift generated by the wings, and drag from air resistance. Other factors may include wind speed and direction, as well as any external forces or loads acting on the aircraft.

4. How are resultant forces and moments calculated for an aircraft problem?

To calculate resultant forces and moments for an aircraft problem, all the individual forces and moments acting on the aircraft must be first identified and quantified. These forces and moments can then be added and subtracted using vector operations to determine the overall resultant force and moment on the aircraft.

5. How do engineers use resultant forces and moments in aircraft design?

Engineers use resultant forces and moments in aircraft design to ensure that the aircraft is structurally sound and stable during flight. They must also consider how the aircraft will perform under different conditions and how the resultant forces and moments may change. By carefully analyzing these factors, engineers can design aircraft that are safe and efficient to fly.

Back