Resulting force and velocity help

In summary, the problem involves two forces of equal magnitude, 50N, acting on an object at 90 and 0 degrees. The task is to determine the resultant force's magnitude and direction. The cos and sin formulas have been used in previous problems, but it is unclear how to apply them in this case. The suggestion to use the head to tail method and make a drawing is given as a helpful approach.
Sonny18n

Homework Statement

A force of 50N at 90 degrees and a force of 50N at 0 degrees act on an object, what is the magnitude and direction of the resultant force?

Homework Equations

For the x and y component, I've used the cos and sin formula for previous problems but I'm not sure how to figure this out. An example would be great.

The Attempt at a Solution

See I'm not sure if I should start it like before with multiplying the degrees with cos/sin and whatnot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Make a drawing ! sin and cos still apply and are really easy with these angles.

Have you been shown the head to tail method of adding vectors?

FAQ: Resulting force and velocity help

1. What is the resulting force?

The resulting force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account all individual forces acting on it. It is determined by the vector sum of all forces.

2. How do you calculate the resulting force?

To calculate the resulting force, you need to add all the individual forces acting on an object, taking into account their direction and magnitude. This can be done using vector addition or by breaking down the forces into their x and y components and then adding them together.

3. What is the relationship between resulting force and velocity?

The resulting force and velocity are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the resulting force increases, the velocity of an object will also increase. Conversely, if the resulting force decreases, the velocity will decrease as well.

4. How does the resulting force affect the motion of an object?

The resulting force determines the acceleration of an object, which in turn affects its motion. If the resulting force is zero, the object will maintain a constant velocity (either at rest or moving at a constant speed). If the resulting force is non-zero, the object will accelerate in the direction of the resulting force.

5. Can the resulting force and velocity change during motion?

Yes, the resulting force and velocity can change during motion. This can happen if there is a change in the forces acting on the object, or if the object changes direction or speed. As long as there is a non-zero resulting force acting on an object, its velocity will continue to change.