Returns on Jointly Normal Stock

• Thread starter Oxymoron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Normal
In summary, if the returns on two stocks are jointly normal and their means, variances, and correlation are known, it is possible to calculate the return on one stock given the return on the other. This can be done by dividing the bivariate normal density by one of the marginals and extracting the conditional expectation and variance.
Oxymoron

Homework Statement

If the returns on two stock are jointly normal and let's say I know the means, variances (and therefore standard deviations), and correlation of each and both.

Then if I know the return of one of the stocks over some time period, then would it be possible to calculate the return on the other over the same time period?

Homework Equations

The bivariate normal density (maybe?)
Weights of assets given their prices at time t=0.
Return on a portfolio.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have 2 of stock 1 and 5 of stock 2. Their prices are $10.50 and $15 at time 0 respectively. Therefore their weights are 0.21875 and 0.78125 respectively. The return on stock 1 is 0.06. But how do I find the return on the second stock? I'm sure there is some property of the bivariate normal probability density that I need.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll probably have to define the calculation for "return" on a stock if you want help from a wide audience.

Just taking "return" as a random variable, if you know the return for one stock, what you can get is the conditional probability distribution for the return on the other. Knowing one return doesn't remove all the uncertainty about the other one.

Hi Stephen. Good idea with the conditional probability distribution. Turns out you can derive a formula for the conditional bivariate (because I am considering only 2 stocks) normal density by dividing the bivariate normal density by one of the marginals. Then you can extract the conditional expectation and conditional variance from the exponential just like you would with the univariate normal density. Works a treat! Thanks for the insight!

Related to Returns on Jointly Normal Stock

1. What is the definition of "Returns on Jointly Normal Stock"?

Returns on Jointly Normal Stock refers to the statistical measure of the percentage change in the value of a stock over a specific period of time. It is calculated by dividing the change in stock price by the initial stock price.

2. How do I calculate the returns on jointly normal stock?

To calculate the returns on jointly normal stock, you need to determine the initial stock price and the ending stock price for a specific time period. Then, subtract the initial stock price from the ending stock price and divide the result by the initial stock price. Finally, multiply the result by 100 to get the percentage change in stock price.

3. Is it important to consider the normality of stock returns?

Yes, it is important to consider the normality of stock returns because it helps to understand the behavior of stock prices and make informed investment decisions. Normality of stock returns means that the returns follow a bell-shaped curve, which is a common pattern in financial markets.

4. How does the normality of stock returns affect portfolio management?

The normality of stock returns can affect portfolio management by helping investors to determine the level of risk associated with their investments. A portfolio with normally distributed stock returns is considered less risky compared to a portfolio with non-normal returns. This information can be used to diversify the portfolio and manage risk effectively.

5. Can stock returns ever be perfectly jointly normal?

No, stock returns cannot be perfectly jointly normal. While many stocks may exhibit a normal distribution of returns, there are always outliers and unexpected events that can cause significant changes in stock prices, making the returns non-normally distributed.