REU for EE major that wants to get into applied semiconductor physics

In summary, the individual is a dual major in EE and compE with minors in chemistry and physics, and is interested in getting into applied semiconductor physics or photonics. They are looking for a good REU program, preferably in the Midwest but willing to travel elsewhere. They have also been advised to start by talking to professors at their school. URLs for potential REU programs in applied physics have been provided in a previous thread.
leright
REU for EE major that wants to get into applied semiconductor physics...

hello, I am a dual major in EE and compE, with minors in both chemistry and physics (3 credits away from the chem minor, and I would like to take quantum mechanics, contemporary physics, and solid state physics, which will also get me a physics minor). I am interested in getting into applied semiconductor physics, or maybe photonics, and would be interested in a good REU. I am located in Michigan. Does anyone know of any good EE engineering REU programs located in the Midwest area? If not, does anyone know of any REU programs nationally? I would be willing to travel outside of the midwest.

Any insight regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you talked to any of the professors at your school who are in that field? I'd recommend starting there.

FAQ: REU for EE major that wants to get into applied semiconductor physics

1. What is an REU and how does it benefit an EE major?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) is a program funded by the National Science Foundation that allows undergraduate students to engage in hands-on research experiences in their field of study. For an EE major, participating in an REU can provide valuable experience in applying principles of electrical engineering to real-world problems in the field of applied semiconductor physics.

2. How can an EE major prepare for an REU in applied semiconductor physics?

An EE major can prepare for an REU in applied semiconductor physics by taking relevant coursework in solid state physics, semiconductor devices, and materials science. They can also gain experience through internships or research projects in related fields. Additionally, developing strong skills in programming and data analysis will be beneficial for conducting research in this area.

3. What are some potential research topics an EE major can explore in an REU for applied semiconductor physics?

Some potential research topics for an EE major in an REU for applied semiconductor physics could include investigating the properties of new materials for semiconductor devices, developing techniques for improving the efficiency of semiconductor devices, or exploring the use of semiconductors in renewable energy technologies.

4. What are the career opportunities for an EE major after participating in an REU in applied semiconductor physics?

Participating in an REU in applied semiconductor physics can open up a variety of career opportunities for an EE major. They may choose to pursue a career in research and development in the semiconductor industry, work in government or private research labs, or continue their education in graduate school in a related field.

5. How can an EE major stand out in the application process for an REU in applied semiconductor physics?

An EE major can stand out in the application process for an REU in applied semiconductor physics by highlighting their relevant coursework, research experience, and technical skills. They can also demonstrate their enthusiasm and passion for the field through a well-written personal statement and strong letters of recommendation from professors or mentors in the field.