REU Programs and General Physics Questions from a Freshman

In summary: I would like to ask about research experience or getting started in research. I'm currently a freshman at a small state school and I am interested in doing research in the future. Are there any tips or advice on how I can start doing research or how to find research opportunities? In summary, should I start doing research at my school now or wait until I get to a bigger school?
sr6622
Hey guys, I just have a couple of questions. I am currently a freshman at a small state school.

First off, I was wondering what level of mathematics and physics is sufficient to do an REU summer program. I've emailed a few programs, and they have constantly stated that there are no specific requirements and that freshman are generally not taken. So, does anyone have any idea about a general set of classes that one should take before applying?

Currently, I am taking Calculus III (MV Cal at other colleges) and Modern Physics. Next semester I'll take Math Methods in Physics ( or Intro. to Differential Equations) and Quantum Mechanics I. Btw, does anyone think I should definitely take Diff before Math Methods? Also, I will hopefully start doing some Physics research next semester.

Second, I want to improve my Math and Physics problem-solving. Does anyone have any ideas on how to improve problem-solving skills? Are there any seminal books that I should buy? (I have Problems in General Physics by that Russian guy, btw)

Third, how important is your undergraduate institution when applying to top-rated Physics programs like MIT, Caltech, Princeton, etc.?

Physics news on Phys.org
On your REU question, freshman are generally not accepted to REU's since they have less courses under their belt, and, on average, freshman have less research experience than juniors. If you want to make yourself more marketable for an REU, your best bet would be to try to see if you can help a professor in your department with some kind of research project. Also, be on the look out for REU's that focus on freshman and sophomores. These are rare, but I did find one and get into it as a sophomore and there were three freshman in our group as well.Your undergraduate institution is not going to keep you out of top level graduate schools as long as your GPA is good, you have good Physics GRE and General Math GRE scores, and you have research experience under your belt. With all of that you should be able to get into a respectable graduate program (at least by what I'm told. I'm still and undergraduate myself). Also, REU's help in this regard since lots of schools use REU programs to recruit future graduate students.

REU is a great program, but you are correct that they usually do not accept freshman. As G01 suggested, you could ask around your department to see if there's an interesting project you're interested in, and in the process get to know your department and professors better. Or, you could check out the dozens of other summer research programs oriented towards undergraduates. Check out http://www.astromiror.org/opportunities.html under the Undergraduates section. You are only as limited as you make yourself feel.

I don't know what your Math Methods course is like, but the one I took was a review of all basic undergrad math used in physics classes, including Differential Equations. I found it helpful to have already taken a DE class before reviewing it in Math Methods.

Undergrad institution really isn't that important when applying to grad schools, although it can help. This issue has been debated among many and there is no consensus, but that has been my experience. G01 is also correct about other factors that graduate departments consider.

Good luck!

G01 said:
Your undergraduate institution is not going to keep you out of top level graduate schools as long as your GPA is good, you have good Physics GRE and General Math GRE scores, and you have research experience under your belt.

Good letters of recommendation also help, especially if they're from professors who really know you and what you can do.

sr6622 said:
bump

Why are you bumping this thread when you've had some good replies? Do you have any questions to any of the people who replied to you?

Just wanted more opinions, really...

jtbell said:
Good letters of recommendation also help, especially if they're from professors who really know you and what you can do.

Yes, of course, I don't know how I forgot about those!:redface:

Related to REU Programs and General Physics Questions from a Freshman

1. What is an REU program?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program is a summer research opportunity for undergraduate students in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). It provides students with hands-on research experience and professional development opportunities.

2. How can I apply for an REU program?

Each REU program has its own application process, but in general, applicants must be undergraduate students in good academic standing and have a strong interest in pursuing a research career. Applications typically include transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement outlining research interests and goals.

3. What are the benefits of participating in an REU program?

Participating in an REU program can provide valuable research experience, networking opportunities with fellow students and professionals, and a chance to explore a specific field of study. It can also enhance graduate school applications and open up future career opportunities.

4. Can anyone participate in an REU program, or are there specific requirements?

While each REU program may have its own specific requirements, most programs are open to all undergraduate students who meet the eligibility criteria. Some programs may prioritize students from underrepresented groups or those with a strong academic background in the specific field of research.

5. How can I prepare for an REU program as a freshman?

As a freshman, you can prepare for an REU program by taking relevant coursework, building relationships with professors, and getting involved in research opportunities on your campus. It is also important to have a clear understanding of your research interests and goals, as well as strong communication and time management skills.