Reversibility on Microscopic Level

In summary: CPT symmetry (charge, parity, and time symmetry)?T-symmetry (time)?In summary, Rae says that reactions in the microscopic realm are reversible except for a few subatomic particle processes that violate T-symmetry.
StevieTNZ
Hi there,

Quick question - I know the processes in the microscopic realm are reversible. However, in 'Quantum physics: illusion or reality', Rae says that this is true except for one or two subatomic particle processes. Which particles are these, and why aren't they reversible?

Physics news on Phys.org
StevieTNZ said:
Hi there,

Quick question - I know the processes in the microscopic realm are reversible. However, in 'Quantum physics: illusion or reality', Rae says that this is true except for one or two subatomic particle processes. Which particles are these, and why aren't they reversible?
All reactions show CPT symmetry (charge, parity and time symmetry) but not all show T-symmetry (time) alone. For the ones that violate T-symmetry, basically that means if you had a movie of such a reaction then if you played it backwards you'd get something that violated the laws of physics, but the CPT-symmetry means that if you played it backwards and reversed all the spatial axes (reversing left and right as in a mirror for example) and switched the labels of charges so that particles became antiparticles and vice versa, then the result would no longer violate the laws of physics.

In terms of CPT symmetry, violations of T-symmetry are equivalent to violations of CP-symmetry, see this wikipedia page for examples of reactions that violate CP symmetry.

When you speak of T-symmetry, is that equivalent to me walking forward -- then when reversibility comes into play, I'm walking backwards the same path...
much like breaking a cup, then all the fragments forming the cup again?
Would you also see this happen if the reaction showed CPT symmetry?

StevieTNZ said:
When you speak of T-symmetry, is that equivalent to me walking forward -- then when reversibility comes into play, I'm walking backwards the same path...much like breaking a cup, then all the fragments forming the cup again?
Both you walking backwards and the cup-reforming should be physically possible according to both T-symmetry and CPT-symmetry, in the sense that neither would violate the fundamental laws of physics, however they might be very unlikely for thermodynamic reasons (certainly the cup scenario would be, and the walking backwards scenario would be too if you paid close attention to things like air dust movements around your feet). The fact that some phenomena are statistically more likely to happen in one direction of time than the other is thought to trace back to the low-entropy state of the universe around the time of the Big Bang, which introduced a thermodynamic asymmetry in the subsequent evolution of the universe (good discussions of this "arrow of time" problem can be found in Brian Greene's The Fabric of the Cosmos and Sean Carroll's From Eternity to Here)

So you have a process A + B -> C + D
Under the CPT theorm, where A-D are particles, suddendly those particles turn into their corresponding anti-particles A*-D*, so the process now is
C* + D* -> A* + B* ?

So the original process is simply not reversed: C + D -> A + B. Then why could their be that kind of reversibility in the example I stated:
When you speak of T-symmetry, is that equivalent to me walking forward -- then when reversibility comes into play, I'm walking backwards the same path...
much like breaking a cup, then all the fragments forming the cup again?

Isn't that just a process A -> B, being reversed to B -> A?

StevieTNZ said:
So you have a process A + B -> C + D
Under the CPT theorm, where A-D are particles, suddendly those particles turn into their corresponding anti-particles A*-D*, so the process now is
C* + D* -> A* + B* ?
No, there is no question of the particles "suddenly" turning into antiparticles, the idea is simply that it would be allowed by the laws of physics to have a different set of particles somewhere else in the universe that behaved like the original particles but which charge, parity, and time-order reversed. So somewhere else in the universe you might see a sequence C* + D* -> A* + B*, with a movie of this sequence looking just like a backwards movie of the original sequence A + B -> C + D (and besides looking like a temporally reversed version of the first, the system would also be mirror-reflected along all three spatial axes, that's a reversal of "parity" or the "P" in CPT symmetry)
StevieTNZ said:
So the original process is simply not reversed: C + D -> A + B.
But nearly all particle reactions--certainly all involving the particles that make up ordinary atoms and light--are T-symmetric, so you can have simple reversals in this case.

Ah ok. Thanks for clearing that up. My confusion has gone away.

So particles that make up atoms, therefore atoms, show T-symmetry?

Last edited:
StevieTNZ said:
Ah ok. Thanks for clearing that up. My confusion has gone away.

So particles that make up atoms, therefore atoms, show T-symmetry?
Yep, violations of T-symmetry are equivalent in quantum field theory to violations of CP-symmetry, and while reactions that violate CP-symmetry have been observed they only involve some particles like "neutral kaons" that don't make up ordinary matter, see the wiki article on CP violation.

Related to Reversibility on Microscopic Level

1. What is reversibility on a microscopic level?

Reversibility on a microscopic level refers to the ability of microscopic particles and systems to undergo changes and then return to their original state. It is a fundamental concept in many branches of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology.

2. How does reversibility occur on a microscopic level?

Reversibility occurs on a microscopic level due to the reversible nature of physical and chemical processes. These processes involve the rearrangement of atoms and molecules, which can be undone by reversing the same steps in the opposite direction.

3. What is an example of reversibility on a microscopic level?

A common example of reversibility on a microscopic level is the melting and freezing of water. When heated, water molecules gain energy and move further apart, causing the substance to melt. When cooled, the molecules lose energy and come back together, causing the substance to freeze.

4. Why is reversibility important in science?

Reversibility is important in science because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems. It also allows us to control and manipulate these systems to our advantage, such as in chemical reactions and industrial processes.

5. Are all processes reversible on a microscopic level?

No, not all processes are reversible on a microscopic level. Some processes, such as irreversible chemical reactions, result in permanent changes to the structure and composition of particles and cannot be undone by reversing the steps. However, many processes can be made reversible by carefully controlling the conditions and parameters involved.