Reversible adiabatic compression

In summary, the initial temperature of the gas is approximately 1163K, and after undergoing a reversible adiabatic compression, the volume decreases to approximately 11.45L and the pressure increases to approximately 11.2atm. The temperature also increases to approximately 2418K.
eraymon2011
Two moles of a diatomic gas occupies a volume of 50 L and is at a pressure 4atm. The gas then undergoes a process: a reversible adiabatic compression, so that is temperature doubles. Find both temperatures, and find the volume and the pressure after the compression process.

my thoughts: adiabatic compression- change in heat=dq= 0 for this process. I tried to find the intial temperature with the ideal gas law and got 1218 K (which seems a little high). I saw the formulas P2/P1= (V2/V1)^(-7/5) and T2= T1(P2/P1) ^(7/5-(1-7/5)) in a similar example (7/5= gamma for diatomic gas, the ^ symbol = exponent) and tried to apply them here but got P2 to be 11 atm and V2=11.45 L. I think that I'm wrong and I'm not sure where I went wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
The initial temperature of the gas is given by the ideal gas law, $PV=nRT$. In this case, we have $4\text{atm}\cdot 50\text{L}=2\text{mol}\cdot R \cdot T_1$, so $T_1=\frac{4\cdot 50}{2\cdot R}\approx 1163K$.The volume and pressure of the gas after the reversible adiabatic compression can be found using the equation $P_2/P_1=(V_2/V_1)^{-7/5}$. Plugging in the known values for $P_1$ and $V_1$, we get $P_2=4\cdot (50/V_2)^{-7/5}\approx 11.2\text{atm}$. Then, we can solve for the volume after the compression process: $V_2=50\cdot (P_2/P_1)^{5/7}\approx 11.45\text{L}$.The temperature after the adiabatic compression can be found using the equation $T_2=T_1(P_2/P_1)^{7/5-(1-7/5)}=1163\cdot (11.2/4)^{2/5}\approx 2418K$.

Related to Reversible adiabatic compression

1. What is reversible adiabatic compression?

Reversible adiabatic compression is a process in thermodynamics where a gas is compressed without any exchange of heat with its surroundings and with no loss of energy due to friction. This results in an increase in temperature and pressure of the gas.

2. How is reversible adiabatic compression different from irreversible adiabatic compression?

In reversible adiabatic compression, the compression process is carried out slowly and in a controlled manner, allowing the gas to reach thermal equilibrium with its surroundings at each stage. This results in a more efficient and accurate compression process compared to irreversible adiabatic compression, where the compression is rapid and uncontrolled, leading to an increase in temperature and pressure of the gas beyond the desired values.

3. What are the applications of reversible adiabatic compression?

Reversible adiabatic compression is commonly used in various industrial processes, such as in the compression of gases for storage or transportation, in refrigeration systems, and in the production of compressed air for industrial use. It is also used in the compression stage of gas turbines and in the compression of gases for combustion in internal combustion engines.

4. What is the equation for reversible adiabatic compression?

The equation for reversible adiabatic compression is given by: PV^γ = constant, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, and γ is the specific heat ratio of the gas. This equation is known as the adiabatic equation or the Poisson equation.

5. Is reversible adiabatic compression a reversible process?

Yes, reversible adiabatic compression is a reversible process, meaning that the compression can be reversed without any loss of energy or change in the system. This is because no heat is exchanged with the surroundings during the compression process, and there is no increase in entropy, making the process reversible.