Reversing order of integration of double integral qns.

In summary: yup.i got them now. i get (jus for the -ve x portion)-1 < x < -sqrt y with 0< y< 1and -1 < x < -cube root y with -1< y < 0
blursotong
[sloved]reversing order of integration of double integral qns.

Homework Statement

pls refer to attached picture.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

intially upper and lower limits are , x^2 < y< x^3 and -1<x<1
sketched y=x^2 and y= x^3. => sqrt(y) =x and cube root (y) = x
divide the area into 3 section.
new limits of dxdy
sqrt(y) <x< cube root (y) with 0<y<1 ,
and 0<x< sqrt(y) with 0<y< -1, ( for -ve x and +ve y portion of x^2 graph)
and cube root (y)< x< 0 with -1<y<0 ( for -ve x and -ve y portion of x^3 graph)

but the answer i have shows a different answer. guess i am wrong, but anyone can tell me which part?
attached is a graph i tried to draw( pardon my IT skills=P)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    2.7 KB · Views: 375
  • Doc1.doc
    32 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your picture is good, but you should emphasize that the region is also bounded by a vertical segment at x=(-1). Doesn't that mean some of your lower limits in the x integration need to be -1?

hmm..to find limit of x integration we draw vertical line? so when i split the area to three sections, their upper limits is cube root y or sqrt y and the lower limit is 0?
yea, but according to the answer i have, it uses limits of x integration as -1..and i don't understand why?
could you kindly explain to me?

Take your diagram and draw a segment connecting (-1,1) and (-1,-1). That's the boundary curve that determines your lower limit when you are doing the x<0 parts of the integration.

opps..i was wrong, we should draw horizontal lines instead. and yup..
i get jus (for the -ve x portion)
-1 < x < sqrt y with 0< y< 1
and -1 < x < -x^3 with -1< y < 0
using the these lines as a guide..

opps i only can attach files when i post a thread? can't seem to be able to upload the edited graph here??

blursotong said:
opps..i was wrong, we should draw horizontal lines instead. and yup..
i get jus (for the -ve x portion)
-1 < x < sqrt y with 0< y< 1
and -1 < x < -x^3 with -1< y < 0
using the these lines as a guide..

You'll need to express x limits in terms of y. And for both of them, the upper limit should be a negative number, like your graph shows.

yup.i got them now.
i get (jus for the -ve x portion)
-1 < x < -sqrt y with 0< y< 1
and -1 < x < -cube root y with -1< y < 0

thanks a lot for your guidance=D

blursotong said:
yup.i got them now.
i get (jus for the -ve x portion)
-1 < x < -sqrt y with 0< y< 1
and -1 < x < -cube root y with -1< y < 0

thanks a lot for your guidance=D

Are you super sure about that -cube root(y)?? Remember if y is negative then cube root(y) is already negative.

ahah! my wrong..it should be jus cube root of y...
thx for pointing out!
=D

Related to Reversing order of integration of double integral qns.

1. What is the purpose of reversing the order of integration in a double integral?

The purpose of reversing the order of integration in a double integral is to simplify the calculation process and make the integral easier to evaluate. By changing the order, we can often convert a difficult integral into a simpler one that is easier to solve.

2. When is it necessary to reverse the order of integration in a double integral?

Reversing the order of integration is necessary when the bounds of the integral are easier to describe in the opposite order. For example, if the integral has a triangular or irregularly shaped region, it may be easier to integrate over one variable first and then the other.

3. How do you reverse the order of integration in a double integral?

To reverse the order of integration, you need to switch the order of the bounds of the integral and the order of integration in the integral expression. This is typically done by drawing a diagram of the region of integration and identifying the bounds in the new order.

4. What are the limitations of reversing the order of integration?

The main limitation of reversing the order of integration is that it may not always be possible to do so. If the integral has a complicated region of integration or if the integrand is a difficult function, it may not be possible to simplify the integral by changing the order of integration.

5. How can reversing the order of integration help in solving real-world problems?

Reversing the order of integration can be extremely useful in solving real-world problems that involve calculating areas, volumes, and other quantities. By simplifying the integral, it becomes easier to solve and can provide valuable insights and solutions to real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.