Reversing Taylor Series to find the original function

In summary, the function f(x) is defined by x/(1-x) when x=1/3 and it gives the correct bottom but then the top needs to be squared.
delta59

Homework Statement

I need to find the convergence a unknown function. Now I know the Taylor series of it which is 1/3+2/(3^2)+3/(3^3+4/(4^4+...+k/(3^k). Which mean I can just take the Riemann sum of k/(3^k) from say 0 to 50 and that would give me 3/4.

However this is not enough I need to confirm the answer by finding the unknown function. Normally this isn't too difficult as I would manipulate the series to get it into some sort of form that is familiar like e^x or cos(x), but this one is throwing me for a loop.

The bottom part (3^k) fits x/(1-x) when x=3 but I am not sure about the top

any help or hints would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if i am write or wrong , as i have never dealed with them but can't we write them as [summation of (K-1)/3^K]

delta59 said:

Homework Statement

I need to find the convergence a unknown function. Now I know the Taylor series of it which is 1/3+2/(3^2)+3/(3^3+4/(4^4+...+k/(3^k). Which mean I can just take the Riemann sum of k/(3^k) from say 0 to 50 and that would give me 3/4.

However this is not enough I need to confirm the answer by finding the unknown function. Normally this isn't too difficult as I would manipulate the series to get it into some sort of form that is familiar like e^x or cos(x), but this one is throwing me for a loop.

The bottom part (3^k) fits x/(1-x) when x=3 but I am not sure about the top

any help or hints would be great!

Welcome to PF, delta59! :smile:

Perhaps you could start with substituting for instance x=1/3?
What would you get?

Afterward, try to think of defining a suitable function f(x) of which you know what the series sum is if you integrate f(x).
(I'll explain later.)

x/(1-x) when x=1/3 gives the correct bottom but then I just need to square the bottom function to get the top
so the f(x)=x/((1-x))^2 gives the expansion of 1/3+2/(3^2)+3/(3^3+4/(4^4+...+k/(3^k)

Thanks bouncing ideas I got now.

Yep. That works too! :)

Related to Reversing Taylor Series to find the original function

1. What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, each of which is a multiple of the function's derivative evaluated at a specific point.

2. How can a Taylor series be used to find the original function?

A Taylor series can be used to approximate the value of a function at a specific point. By reversing the process, the original function can be determined from its Taylor series.

3. What is the formula for reversing a Taylor series?

The formula for reversing a Taylor series is given by the inverse of the Taylor series formula: f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)(x-a)^2/2! + f'''(a)(x-a)^3/3! + ... + f(n)(a)(x-a)^n/n! + ...

4. Can a Taylor series always be reversed to find the original function?

No, a Taylor series can only be reversed to find the original function if the function is infinitely differentiable at the point of expansion and if the Taylor series converges to the function in a certain interval.

5. Are there any limitations to using Taylor series to find the original function?

Yes, Taylor series can only be used to find the original function for certain types of functions, such as polynomials and trigonometric functions. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation decreases as the distance from the point of expansion increases.