Review/Quality of NetMath program at UIUC (Grad School Preparation)

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using the NetMath program to supplement the courses needed for acceptance into a top MS program in mathematics. It is suggested that the program may not offer all the necessary courses, such as abstract algebra and real analysis, but it could still be useful for displaying mathematical competency. It is also mentioned that the usefulness of the program is subjective, and it may not affect admissions negatively.
monmon_4
Following my previous thread, it seems I don't have the background to apply to MS programs in mathematics directly since I was an undergraduate computer science major. If I need to supplement the courses I have taken in order to gain acceptance to a top program for an MS in mathematics, would the NetMath program suffice? Are all accredited courses created equal or would my application benefit more from taking these courses at a local university?

https://netmath.illinois.edu/

I've taken Calc I/II, Linear Algebra, and Numerical Computing. I would probably take Vector Calculus, Differential Equations, and Introduction to Probability Theory. See here:

https://netmath.illinois.edu/college

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need more courses than those for graduate study in mathematics and some aren't offered by the NetMath program. For example: abstract algebra, real analysis, and topology.

Mmm_Pasta said:
You'll need more courses than those for graduate study in mathematics and some aren't offered by the NetMath program. For example: abstract algebra, real analysis, and topology.

I'm not trying to replace a graduate program, rather I want to take courses in order to display mathematical competency to gain acceptance into one. The MS program at one of these schools offers the courses you listed in the graduate curriculum so I'm guessing you don't need to have already taken them to apply:

http://math.nyu.edu/degree/ms/ms_math.html

Could you comment on the usefulness of the NetMath program for the courses that it does offer? Would I be better off taking the same courses at my local university and somehow be at a disadvantage if I used NetMath @ UIUC?

I think Mmm_pasta was suggesting courses that make up a typical undergrad math degree. I know at my college, a math degree required at least real analysis, modern algebra, and a few others, above and beyond calc, linear algebra, and vector calc.

http://math.nyu.edu/degree/ms/ms_math.html

Could you comment on the usefulness of the NetMath program for the courses that it does offer? Would I be better off taking the same courses at my local university and somehow be at a disadvantage if I used NetMath @ UIUC?[/QUOTE]

I guess M.S. programs have different requirements. They seem flexible and that department offers some different options. The analysis course description course there sounds like the undergraduate version I was talking about. There is the option to replace that course with the graduate version, if you so decide.

As for the usefulness, that is up to you. You'll miss out on in-class lectures, but sometimes you can be stuck with an awful lecturer. Taking these online courses is equivalent to taking a class at your university without attending the lectures since these online courses require a proctor for the tests. Since the classes you wish to take are of somewhat medium difficulty (usually), it will not be much of an issue to take online credit for them.

As for admissions, it is hard to know since each department is different. I don't think many would look negatively on it, though. There are many reasons why one would take courses online.

FAQ: Review/Quality of NetMath program at UIUC (Grad School Preparation)

1. What is the structure of the NetMath program at UIUC?

The NetMath program at UIUC is an online learning program that offers over 50 math courses for students who are interested in pursuing a graduate degree in mathematics. The courses are self-paced and can be accessed from anywhere with an internet connection. They are designed to prepare students for the rigors of graduate school by providing a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and techniques.

2. How does the quality of instruction compare to traditional in-person classes?

The quality of instruction in NetMath courses is comparable to that of traditional in-person classes. The instructors are experienced and highly qualified mathematicians who are dedicated to helping students succeed. They provide detailed feedback on assignments and are available for virtual office hours to answer any questions students may have.

3. Is the NetMath program at UIUC accredited?

Yes, the NetMath program at UIUC is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and follows the same academic standards as traditional on-campus programs at the university.

4. Can I receive credit for NetMath courses towards a degree?

Yes, NetMath courses can be used to fulfill degree requirements at UIUC and many other universities. Students can transfer credits earned through NetMath to their home institution or use them towards a degree at UIUC.

5. What resources are available for students in the NetMath program?

The NetMath program offers a variety of resources to support students in their learning, including online forums for collaboration and discussion, virtual office hours with instructors, and access to a comprehensive online library of mathematical resources. Students also have the option to request individualized tutoring services for an additional fee.