Reviving Old Cartoons: The Pros and Cons of Bringing Back Classic Characters

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the new Tom and Jerry's were horrible compared to the older ones. I especially liked the side cartoons like "car of tomorrow" or "house of tomorrow." They always had a bunch of mother-in-law jokes.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Or any of the greats, road runner, daffy duck, throw out the south park et al
trash and give us real cartoons, i may even buy a tv if they do.

Physics news on Phys.org
No thanks, I'm fine with the current cr@p on TV :P

The new Tom and Jerry's were horrible compared to the older ones. I especially liked the side cartoons like "car of tomorrow" or "house of tomorrow." They always had a bunch of mother-in-law jokes.

I loved Tom and Jerry and all of the old cartoons! The new ones suck

Touche' Pussycat!

Echo 6 Sierra said:
Touche' Pussycat!
:confused:
I remember (vaguely) Touche' Turtle, but that's unfamiliar to me.

I like the Simpsons and Family Guy.

The old cartoons still play, but they aren't funny to me anymore. It's all for kids.

the old ones were the best

simpsons is good also

I still like the old ones. There are no new ones that are supposed to make you laugh, most of them are of action genre, and if they do make an attempt to make one laugh they fail miserably.
Are animators listening?

I meant new versions of the old cartoons, the simpsons is ok ish.

They made Itchy and Scratchy to replace Tom and Jerry.

Who remembers road runner and the totaly impossible physics ? :biggrin:

There were lots of adult jokes loaded into the older Warner Brothers cartoons. In one (after Sylvester got the crap beat out of him and has a broken leg) Tweety dumps laxative and wood alcohol into Sylvester's pain medicine, then the bulldog whacks Sylvester to make him howl in pain and Granny grabs the bottle and dumps a dose of it into him. Then Tweety turns to the viewer and says in a conspiratorical tone "Pretty soon, he won't know what to do" or something of that sort, hearkening back to the old phrase 'He didn't know whether to **** or go blind."

Danger said:
:confused:
I remember (vaguely) Touche' Turtle, but that's unfamiliar to me.
It's one where they were "musketeers" and Jerry has a wee one in training and just about when Tom had the best of Jerry the wee one would stick Tom in the fanny and announce proudly, "touche' pussycat!"

Echo 6 Sierra said:
It's one where they were "musketeers" and Jerry has a wee one in training and just about when Tom had the best of Jerry the wee one would stick Tom in the fanny and announce proudly, "touche' pussycat!"

I remember it well :smile:

wolram said:
Who remembers road runner and the totaly impossible physics ? :biggrin:

I had to learn the hard way as a kid. :frown:

JasonRox said:
I had to learn the hard way as a kid. :frown:

Were you jerry- fied?

Fave quote:

"What for you bury me in the cold, cold ground?"

Let things run their course. Reviving old characters never works. Usually causes a retroactive stink. If you got something new, say it new. And yes, South Park and Simpsons have both run their courses, please let them die soon.

Chi Meson said:
Fave quote:

"What for you bury me in the cold, cold ground?"

Let things run their course. Reviving old characters never works. Usually causes a retroactive stink. If you got something new, say it new. And yes, South Park and Simpsons have both run their courses, please let them die soon.

you can not let tom and jerry and all the other greats die there is nothing close to replace them.

Related to Reviving Old Cartoons: The Pros and Cons of Bringing Back Classic Characters

1. Why do people want the original "Tom and Jerry" back?

Many people have fond childhood memories of watching the original "Tom and Jerry" cartoons. They appreciate the classic animation style, clever humor, and lovable characters. The newer versions of the show have received criticism for straying too far from the original concept and losing the charm of the original.

2. Is there a chance that "Tom and Jerry" will be brought back?

While nothing is certain, there is always a possibility that the original "Tom and Jerry" could be brought back. Many fans have expressed their desire for the show to return, and with the rise of streaming services and reboots of other classic cartoons, it is not out of the realm of possibility.

3. What happened to the original "Tom and Jerry"?

The original "Tom and Jerry" series was created by William Hanna and Joseph Barbera in 1940. They produced over 100 short films for MGM studios until 1958 when the studio closed its animation department. The rights to the characters were then sold to other studios, leading to different versions and reboots over the years.

4. Are there any other ways to watch the original "Tom and Jerry"?

Yes, the original "Tom and Jerry" cartoons can be found on various streaming services and DVD collections. While they may not be currently airing on television, fans can still enjoy these classic episodes at their convenience.

5. Why do some people prefer the newer versions of "Tom and Jerry"?

Some people enjoy the newer versions of "Tom and Jerry" as they offer updated animation, storylines, and humor that may better resonate with a modern audience. Additionally, some may have been introduced to the newer versions first and have a nostalgic attachment to them.