Revolutions per sec (centripital acceleration)

In summary, astronauts experience accelerations of up to 3g during the separation of booster rockets, and in their training, they experience centripetal acceleration in a horizontal circular motion. To determine the required rotation rate in revolutions per second for an astronaut to experience a centripetal acceleration of 3g with a radius of 9.45m, we can use the equations a_c = v^2/r and T= 2pi*r/v. However, since the question may have a typo and should say 3g instead of 3.00kg, we can eliminate v from the equations and solve for T.
~christina~
Gold Member
[SOLVED] Revolutions per sec (centripital acceleration)

Homework Statement

As their booster rockets seperate, space shuttle astronauts typically feel acclerations up to 3g where g= 9.80ms^2. In their training astronauts ride in a device in which they experience such accelrations as centripital accleration. Specifically, the astronaut is fastened securely at the end of a mechanical arm and that turns at constant speed in a horizontal circle.

determine the rotation rate in revolutions per sec required to give a astronaut a centripital accelration of 3.00kg while in a circular motion with the radius of 9.45m

Homework Equations

[tex]a_c = v^2/r [/tex]

T= 2pi*r/ v

The Attempt at a Solution

all I know is that the

[tex]a_c[/tex] = 3.00kg
and that

r= 9.45m

I'm not sure what I do with this though since wouldn't the accelration usually be in m/s^2 but in this case it is in kg...how can this be?

well I also don't have the velocity either...

I was thinking of substituting the centripital accelration equation into the period T equation to get rid of v however I do know that speed is constant but velocity magnitude doesn't change since speed doesn't change but the magnitude I know does..

Can someone help me out with this...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the question is supposed to say "centripetal acceleration of 3g" not 3.00 kg. Just seems like a typo. Your initial thoughts are quite correct. You can eliminate v to work out what T will be.

thanks Kurdt

Last edited:
I don't think so. You will never get an acceleration reported in units of mass unless there is a typo or mistake. :smile:

wait so how can it be in g then ??

you did say that it was in g not kg but now you say it can't be in units of mass...I'm confused..

g in this context is the acceleration due to gravity. So when somebody says there was an acceleration of 3g, they mean that the acceleration is 3 times the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity. g was given in your question as g=9.80ms-2.

Oh I get it now... I thought it meant grams..
Thanks Kurdt :smile:

Related to Revolutions per sec (centripital acceleration)

What is "Revolutions per sec (centripital acceleration)"?

Revolutions per second, also known as angular velocity, is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point. Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object due to its circular motion.

How is "Revolutions per sec (centripital acceleration)" calculated?

To calculate revolutions per second, divide the number of revolutions by the time it takes to complete those revolutions. Centripetal acceleration can be calculated by dividing the square of the angular velocity by the radius of the circular motion.

What is the difference between linear and angular velocity?

Linear velocity is the rate of change of an object's position in a straight line, while angular velocity is the rate of change of an object's angular position. Linear velocity is measured in units such as meters per second, while angular velocity is measured in units such as radians per second.

How does centripetal acceleration affect an object?

Centripetal acceleration causes an object to continuously change direction, as it is constantly being pulled towards the center of the circular motion. This acceleration is necessary for an object to maintain circular motion and can affect the object's speed and direction.

What are some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration?

Some examples of centripetal acceleration in everyday life include a car turning a corner, a ball being swung on a string, and a planet orbiting around a star. In each of these cases, a centripetal force is acting on the object to keep it moving in a circular path.