Rewrite the given function as a sinusoid - why so different

In summary, the conversation discusses rewriting functions as sinusoids in the form S(x) = A sin(ωx + φ). The first function involves setting φ = π + arcsin(some_value) and the second function involves setting φ = arcsin(-some_value), resulting in different answers. The conversation also mentions the importance of checking both positive and negative values when solving these types of problems.
Vital

Homework Statement

Hello!
I am at the inverse trigonometric functions section, and the following exercise asks to rewrite the given function as a sinusoid of a form S(x) = A sin(ωx + φ).

I thought I have understood the approach to solving such tasks, and it went pretty smoothly, until I hit the two functions below. Please, take a look at them, and help me to understand why in the first case we set φ = π + arcsin(some_value) and in the other we set φ = arcsin(-some_value), if in both cases initially we have arcsin(-some_value), namely the some_value is negative in both cases, so in both cases sin(φ) has negative values. I give answers to these questions below each function, but I am not sure those are correct answers.

Homework Equations

Here are two functions, my solutions and answers from the book. Please, help me to understand the difference.

The Attempt at a Solution

First function:[/B]
f(x) = -cos(x) - 2√2 sin(x)

-1 = A sin(φ) and - 2√2 = A cos(φ)

cos2(φ) + sin2(φ) = 1
multiply both sides by A2
A2 cos2(φ) + A2 sin2(φ) = A2

(-1) 2 + (- 2√2)2 = A2
A = 3 (taking the positive answer from the square root)

Then, -1 = A sin(φ) => sin(φ) = -⅓ => arcsin(-⅓) = φ

But the final answer is:
f(x) = 3 sin(x + π + arcsin (⅓) ) = 3 sin(x + 3.4814)

Before moving to the next example, I would like to note that I understand that if we find arcsin(⅓) we get a reference angle with sin value is Quadrant I or Quadrant II, where sin is positive; and as far as in the given function we have a negative value of sin(φ), then by adding arcsin(⅓) to π we get to the desired Quadrant III, where sin(φ) has negative value. Then, do I understand correctly that the answer:

f(x) = 3 sin(x + -arcsin (-⅓) ) = 3 sin(x - 0.3398) is also correct, but gives us the angle in Quadrant IV, instead of Quadrant III as in the previous answer?

Second function:
f(x) = 2sin(x) - cos(x)
2 = A cos(φ) and -1 = A sin(φ)
A = √5
φ = arcsin(-1/√5) = arcsin(-√5/5)
Then the answer:
f(x) = √5 sin( x + arcsin(-√5/5)) = √5 sin( x - 0.4636)

And here we could also give another answer:
f(x) = √5 sin( x + π + arcsin(√5/5)) = √5 sin( x + 3.6052), correct?

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
This item comes up quite often in optics and interference and other places and the function takes the form ## F(t)=Acos(\omega t)+Bsin(\omega t) ##. By factoring out ## \sqrt{A^2+B^2} ##, the result is ## F(t)=\sqrt{A^2+B^2}(cos(\phi)cos(\omega t)+sin(\phi)sin(\omega t))=\sqrt{A^2+B^2}cos(\omega t-\phi) ## where ## \phi=arctan(\frac{B}{A}) ##. Since ## sin(\theta+\pi/2)=cos(\theta) ##, we can write ## F(t)=\sqrt{A^2+B^2}sin(\omega t-\phi+\pi/2) ##.

Charles Link said:
This item comes up quite often in optics and interference and other places and the function takes the form ## F(t)=Acos(\omega t)+Bsin(\omega t) ##. By factoring out ## \sqrt{A^2+B^2} ##, the result is ## F(t)=\sqrt{A^2+B^2}(cos(\phi)cos(\omega t)+sin(\phi)sin(\omega t))=\sqrt{A^2+B^2}cos(\omega t-\phi) ## where ## \phi=arctan(\frac{B}{A}) ##. Since ## sin(\theta+\pi/2)=cos(\theta) ##, we can write ## F(t)=\sqrt{A^2+B^2}sin(\omega t-\phi+\pi/2) ##.
Thank you very much, but you are not answering my questions. Even though your answer helped me to learn something new, it doesn't help me to understand what is going on with the exercises. I have precise questions about the difference in the answer I get and the answer given in the book.

When you decided to use the positive square root for A=3, you picked one of two possibilities. The negative root would have given the book answer. When you have a choice like that, it does not mean that both choices are equally correct. It just means that you should consider both possibilities and see which one (or both) work out. You need to check your final answer. Your final answer with A=3 does not match the original function. You should have also considered A=-3 and you would have gotten a match to the original function.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot that A is used other places (where it should be positive?). So I will need to think about this some more.

Last edited:
Likes Charles Link
Vital said:
Thank you very much, but you are not answering my questions. Even though your answer helped me to learn something new, it doesn't help me to understand what is going on with the exercises. I have precise questions about the difference in the answer I get and the answer given in the book.
@FactChecker gave a good response=even my method isn't foolproof if you simply use the formula ## \phi=arctan(B/A) ##. If both ## A ## and ## B ## are negative (as it was for this problem), then ## \phi ## lies in the 3rd quadrant instead of the first=(you add ## \pi ## to the angle in the first quadrant that has ## arctan(B/A) ##).

Last edited:
Scratch that=I need to check my answer. Editing... Yes, I get the result also that ## f(x)=3sin(x+3.4814) ##.

Last edited:
Vital said:

Homework Statement

Hello!
I am at the inverse trigonometric functions section, and the following exercise asks to rewrite the given function as a sinusoid of a form S(x) = A sin(ωx + φ).

I thought I have understood the approach to solving such tasks, and it went pretty smoothly, until I hit the two functions below. Please, take a look at them, and help me to understand why in the first case we set φ = π + arcsin(some_value) and in the other we set φ = arcsin(-some_value), if in both cases initially we have arcsin(-some_value), namely the some_value is negative in both cases, so in both cases sin(φ) has negative values. I give answers to these questions below each function, but I am not sure those are correct answers.

Homework Equations

Here are two functions, my solutions and answers from the book. Please, help me to understand the difference.

The Attempt at a Solution

First function:[/B]
f(x) = -cos(x) - 2√2 sin(x)

-1 = A sin(φ) and - 2√2 = A cos(φ)

cos2(φ) + sin2(φ) = 1
multiply both sides by A2

(-1) 2 + (- 2√2)2 = A2
A = 3 (taking the positive answer from the square root)

Then, -1 = A sin(φ) => sin(φ) = -⅓ => arcsin(-⅓) = φ

But the final answer is:
f(x) = 3 sin(x + π + arcsin (⅓) ) = 3 sin(x + 3.4814)

Before moving to the next example, I would like to note that I understand that if we find arcsin(⅓) we get a reference angle with sin value is Quadrant I or Quadrant II, where sin is positive; and as far as in the given function we have a negative value of sin(φ), then by adding arcsin(⅓) to π we get to the desired Quadrant III, where sin(φ) has negative value. Then, do I understand correctly that the answer:

f(x) = 3 sin(x + -arcsin (-⅓) ) = 3 sin(x - 0.3398) is also correct, but gives us the angle in Quadrant IV, instead of Quadrant III as in the previous answer?

Thank you very much!

You need both ##\sin(\phi) = -1/3## and ##\cos(\phi) = -2\sqrt{2}/3##, so ##\phi## must be in the third quadrant. After that, you can get a unique positive value ##\phi = \pi + \arctan(\sqrt{2}/4)##. You made an error when you claimed that ##3 \sin(x - \arcsin(-1/3))## is also correct: it is not, and neither is ##3 \sin(x+\arcsin(-1/3)).##

Last edited:
Likes Charles Link and FactChecker

Related to Rewrite the given function as a sinusoid - why so different

1. What does it mean to rewrite a function as a sinusoid?

Rewriting a function as a sinusoid means expressing the function in the form of a sine or cosine function. This is done by finding the amplitude, frequency, and phase shift of the original function and plugging them into the appropriate formula.

2. Why is it important to rewrite a function as a sinusoid?

Rewriting a function as a sinusoid can help simplify the function and make it easier to analyze. It also allows us to identify the periodic behavior of the function and make predictions about its values at different points.

3. How do you determine the amplitude, frequency, and phase shift of a function?

The amplitude is the distance from the center line of the sinusoid to its peak or trough. It can be found by taking half the difference between the maximum and minimum values of the function. The frequency is the number of cycles the sinusoid completes in one unit of time and can be found by looking at the coefficient of the independent variable. The phase shift is the horizontal displacement of the sinusoid and can be found by solving for the value of the independent variable when the function is equal to its maximum or minimum value.

4. Can any function be rewritten as a sinusoid?

No, not all functions can be rewritten as a sinusoid. Only functions that exhibit periodic behavior can be expressed as a sinusoid. Functions that do not repeat themselves in regular intervals cannot be rewritten as a sinusoid.

5. Are there any limitations to rewriting a function as a sinusoid?

Yes, there are limitations to rewriting a function as a sinusoid. Some functions may require more complex sinusoidal forms, such as a sum of two or more sinusoids, to accurately represent their behavior. Additionally, some functions may have a very high frequency or very small amplitude, making it difficult to accurately determine these values.