Rewriting Central Force Problem of Black Hole Potential

In summary, the homework statement states that the radial equation of an object orbiting a non-rotating black hole has the form $$\dot r^2 + (1 - 2 \frac {V_o} {r} ) (\frac {l^2} {r^2} + 1) = E^2$$ where ##r## is the radial coordinate, ##l## is the angular momentum, and ##E## is the total energy. The potential ##V_o = GM_o##, where ##M_o## is the mass of the black hole, can be solved for ##u## using a differential equation of second order in terms of u.
Digital Honeycomb

Homework Statement

From the homework:
In General Relativity it is found that the radial equation of an object orbiting a non-rotating black hole has the form $$\dot r^2 + (1 - 2 \frac {V_o} {r} ) (\frac {l^2} {r^2} + 1) = E^2$$ where ##r## is the radial coordinate, ##l## is the angular momentum, and ##E## is the total energy; the potential ##V_o = GM_o##, where ##M_o## is the mass of the black hole. Show, using the standard substitution ##u = \frac {1} {r}##, and rewriting ##\dot r## in terms of ##\dot \phi## and ##u' = \frac {du} {d\phi}##, that we can write a differential equation for ##u(\phi)## of form $$u'' + u - \frac {V_o} {l^2} - 3V_ou^2 = E^2$$​

Homework Equations

All shown above.

The Attempt at a Solution

First off I'm not entirely sure how to rewrite ##\dot r## in terms of ##\dot \phi##. In the notes it is described that the angular momentum ##l = mr^2\dot\phi##, so therefore this equation could be written in the form $$\dot r = \sqrt{E^2 - (1 - 2V_o u)(m\dot\phi +1)}$$ but it is not exactly like I can plug this back into the original equation. I can also try taking that since ##u = \frac {1} {r}##, that ##\frac {du} {dt} = \frac {-1} {r^2} \frac {dr} {dt} = \frac {du} {d\phi} \frac {d\phi} {dt}## and so ##\dot r = \frac {-1} {u^2} u' \dot \phi## but putting this into the first equation, I'm not exactly sure where the ##u''## is supposed to come from. Am I coming at this from the wrong direction entirely? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about the motivation for going from the equation in terms of [itex]\dot{r}[/itex] to the second-order equation in terms of [itex]u[/itex], but here's how it could be done:

First take a time derivative of your equation for [itex]\dot{r}[/itex]. The right side of the equation is a constant, so that gives:

[itex]2 \dot{r} \ddot{r} - F(r) \dot{r} = 0[/itex]

where [itex]- F(r)[/itex] is the derivative of that potential-like expression on the left side. Dividing through by [itex]\dot{r}[/itex] and rearranging gives you a second-order equation for [itex]r[/itex]:

[itex]\ddot{r} = \frac{1}{2} F(r)[/itex]

Now, at this point, you can use a trick from nonrelativistic orbital dynamics. You do a simultaneous change of dependent variable from [itex]r[/itex] to [itex]u = \frac{1}{r}[/itex] and a change of independent variable from [itex]t[/itex] to [itex]\phi[/itex].

Likes Digital Honeycomb
Hmm, okay... so doing that I end up with the equation, $$\ddot r = \frac {l^2} {r ^3} - 3 \frac {V_o l^2} {r^4} - 2 \frac {V_0} {r^2},$$ substituting ##u = \frac {1} {r}## is simple enough for the RHS of the equation, but not for understanding exactly how to change ##\ddot r## into an equation of ##u(t)##. I know that ##\frac {d^2u} {dr^2} = \frac {2} {r^3}##, but I'm afraid I don't understand how to turn this into an equation in respect to time. I suppose I can take that ##\dot u = \frac {-1} {r^2} \dot r## and then ##\ddot u = \frac {2} {r^3} \dot r - \frac {1}{r^2}\ddot r##, but beyond that I'm not sure how to turn this purely into some ##u(t)## (beyond that, I realize I can take ##d\phi = \frac {L}{m}u^2 dt##, however).

As I said, you have to simultaneously change [itex]r[/itex] to [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]t[/itex] to [itex]\phi[/itex].

[itex]\frac{dr}{dt} = \frac{dr}{du} \frac{du}{d\phi} \frac{d\phi}{dt}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dr}{du} = -\frac{1}{u^2}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{d\phi}{dt} = \frac{\mathcal{l}}{mr^2} = \frac{\mathcal{l}}{m} u^2[/itex]

So [itex]\frac{dr}{dt} = -\frac{\mathcal{l}}{m} \frac{du}{d\phi}[/itex]

Then operate again by [itex]\frac{d}{dt} = \frac{d\phi}{dt} \frac{d}{d\phi}[/itex] to get:

So [itex]\frac{d^2 r}{dt^2} = -(\frac{\mathcal{l}}{m})^2 u^2 \frac{d^2 u}{d\phi^2}[/itex]

Likes Digital Honeycomb
Oh! That makes sense! And then plugging that into the equation gives $$- \frac {l^2} {m^2}u^2 u'' = l^2 u^3 - 3V_o l^2 u^4 - V_o u^2$$ and that turns into $$u'' + u - \frac {V_o} {l^2} - 3V_o u^2 = 0$$ if you take ##m = 1##! Thank you so much!

Related to Rewriting Central Force Problem of Black Hole Potential

1. What is the central force problem of black hole potential?

The central force problem of black hole potential is a mathematical and physical problem that arises when trying to describe the motion of a particle around a black hole. It involves finding the trajectory of a particle under the influence of the black hole's gravity, which is described by the black hole potential.

2. What is the significance of rewriting the central force problem of black hole potential?

Rewriting the central force problem of black hole potential can provide a better understanding of the dynamics of particles near a black hole and can also help in developing more accurate models of black holes. It can also lead to new insights and potential solutions to long-standing problems in physics, such as the information paradox.

3. How is the central force problem of black hole potential typically solved?

The central force problem of black hole potential is typically solved using mathematical techniques such as differential equations and numerical simulations. These methods allow us to calculate the trajectory of a particle and understand its behavior under the influence of the black hole's gravity.

4. What are some challenges in rewriting the central force problem of black hole potential?

One of the main challenges in rewriting the central force problem of black hole potential is the complexity of the equations involved. The black hole potential is described by a highly non-linear equation, making it difficult to find exact solutions. Another challenge is the lack of complete understanding of the nature of black holes, which can lead to uncertainties in the solutions.

5. What are some potential applications of the rewritten central force problem of black hole potential?

The rewritten central force problem of black hole potential can have various applications in astrophysics and cosmology. It can help in studying the behavior of particles near black holes and their role in the evolution of galaxies. It can also aid in the design of space missions and the development of new technologies, such as gravitational wave detectors.