Rewriting of Gibbs Free Energy in Peksin (Equations 13.35/13.36)

In summary: Sometimes it's important. For example the Jarzynski equality in non-equilibrium statistical physics$$\left\langle e^{-\beta W}\right\rangle = e^{-\beta \Delta F}$$is valid for ##F##, but, as far as I know, there is no analog for other thermodynamic potentials.
thatboi
Hey all,
On page 446 in Peskin, he provides 2 different ways of writing the Gibbs Free Energy:
$$\textbf{G}(M,t) = M^{1+\delta}h(tM^{-1/\beta})$$, and $$\textbf{G}(M,t) = t^{\beta(1+\delta)}f(Mt^{-\beta})$$ where ##h## and ##f## are some initial condition functions that have a smooth limit as ##t\rightarrow 0 ##. My question is how to see that these 2 equations are equivalent. I figure there is a relation that goes like ##\rho_{m} = m^2/M^2## and ##\rho_{m}\sim t## where the first equivalence is from pg. 436 and the second relation is from pg. 445 but I still cannot seem to make it work.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just that ##M \sim |t|^{\beta}## (cf. p. 441, Eq. (13.7)).

• Love
Likes malawi_glenn
vanhees71 said:
It's just that ##M \sim |t|^{\beta}## (cf. p. 441, Eq. (13.7)).
But I thought the point of 13.35 and 13.36 were to derive 13.7 so we couldn't assume that relation a priori?

I don't know anything about the subject material in chapter 13 of Peskin. But maybe it's just some mathematical manipulations to show the equivalence of $$\textbf{G}(M,t) = M^{1+\delta}h(tM^{-1/\beta})$$ and $$\textbf{G}(M,t) = t^{\beta(1+\delta)}f(Mt^{-\beta}).$$

Define the function ##H(x)## by the relation ##h(x) \equiv x^p H(x)##, where ##p## is a number that we will specify shortly. Then, $$\textbf{G}(M,t) = M^{1+\delta}h(tM^{-1/\beta}) = M^{1+\delta}\left(tM^{-1/\beta}\right)^p H(tM^{-1/\beta}). $$ Let ##p = \beta(1+\delta)## so that $$\textbf{G}(M,t) = M^{[(1+\delta)-(1+\delta)]} t^{\beta(1+\delta)} H(tM^{-1/\beta}) = t^{\beta(1+\delta)} H(tM^{-1/\beta}).$$ Hence, $$\textbf{G}(M,t) = t^{\beta(1+\delta)} H(tM^{-1/\beta}) =t^{\beta(1+\delta)} H\left[\left(Mt^{-\beta}\right)^{-1/\beta}\right] = t^{\beta(1+\delta)} f(Mt^{-\beta})$$ where ##f(Mt^{-\beta}) \equiv H\left[\left(Mt^{-\beta}\right)^{-1/\beta}\right]##.

Does this work?

Last edited:
Likes thatboi, malawi_glenn and vanhees71
thatboi said:
On page 446 in Peskin, he provides 2 different ways of writing the Gibbs Free Energy

You mean Peskin and Schroeder. Peskin is an altogether different book.

Likes malawi_glenn and Demystifier
George Jones said:
Peskin is an altogether different book.
Concepts of Elementary Particle Physics.

Likes malawi_glenn and George Jones
And Schroeder is Thermal physics ;)

Likes Demystifier
TSny said:
I don't know anything about the subject material in chapter 13 of Peskin. But maybe it's just some mathematical manipulations to show the equivalence of $$\textbf{G}(M,t) = M^{1+\delta}h(tM^{-1/\beta})$$ and $$\textbf{G}(M,t) = t^{\beta(1+\delta)}f(Mt^{-\beta}).$$

Define the function ##H(x)## by the relation ##h(x) \equiv x^p H(x)##, where ##p## is a number that we will specify shortly. Then, $$\textbf{G}(M,t) = M^{1+\delta}h(tM^{-1/\beta}) = M^{1+\delta}\left(tM^{-1/\beta}\right)^p H(tM^{-1/\beta}). $$ Let ##p = \beta(1+\delta)## so that $$\textbf{G}(M,t) = M^{[(1+\delta)-(1+\delta)]} t^{\beta(1+\delta)} H(tM^{-1/\beta}) = t^{\beta(1+\delta)} H(tM^{-1/\beta}).$$ Hence, $$\textbf{G}(M,t) = t^{\beta(1+\delta)} H(tM^{-1/\beta}) =t^{\beta(1+\delta)} H\left[\left(Mt^{-\beta}\right)^{-1/\beta}\right] = t^{\beta(1+\delta)} f(Mt^{-\beta})$$ where ##f(Mt^{-\beta}) \equiv H\left[\left(Mt^{-\beta}\right)^{-1/\beta}\right]##.

Does this work?
Yes great! I see now thanks a lot.

Likes TSny
malawi_glenn said:
And Schroeder is Thermal physics ;)
This explains why his QFT book talks about Gibbs free energy.

QFT and many-body physics is so closely related that it is no surprise, if you find at least one chapter on it also in vacuum-QFT textbooks ;-).

Likes Demystifier
vanhees71 said:
QFT and many-body physics is so closely related that it is no surprise, if you find at least one chapter on it also in vacuum-QFT textbooks ;-).
I'm used to partition function ##Z## and closely related Helmholtz free energy ##F## (the relation is ##Z=e^{-\beta F}##) in particle QFT, but Gibbs free energy in particle QFT looks quite exotic to me. The Minkowski version of ##-\beta F## is ##iW[J]## which generates only connected Feynman diagrams. What kind of diagrams are generated by the Minkowski version of Gibbs free energy?

Likes vanhees71
That's of course true, but which thermodynamical potential you address is not that important. They are all related by Legendre transformations.

vanhees71 said:
That's of course true, but which thermodynamical potential you address is not that important. They are all related by Legendre transformations.
Sometimes it's important. For example the Jarzynski equality in non-equilibrium statistical physics
$$\left\langle e^{-\beta W}\right\rangle = e^{-\beta \Delta F}$$
is valid for ##F##, but, as far as I know, there is no analog for other thermodynamic potentials.

The ##F## in thermodynamics is in many ways analogous to the Lagrangian in mechanics, and Lagrangian has some special properties which other "energy" functions in mechanics don't have.

Likes gentzen and vanhees71