Reynolds Number and Turbulence in Atmospheric Boundary Layers

In summary, Reynolds number is a measure of the turbulence in an open flow around a particular geometry, and is meaningless for determining the laminar/turbulent state of an open flow like a boundary layer. The height of the house or the width, yes. If they differ too much, then it will need more thought (in doubt, I would take the smaller one).This depends on what portion of the flow you wish to study, as the Reynolds number requires a characteristic length scale and selecting that length scale depends on the geometry of the problem. So what part of the flow are you hoping to check for turbulence? If it is the wake created by the house, then it is likely the width of the house that should be used.
Martina835
Hi people! I'm studying the problem of a house in a valley with a wind at 5m/s. If I'd like to compute Reynolds number here and know if the flow is laminar or turbulent which is the charateristic dimension? The height of the house?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The height or the width, yes. If they differ too much, then it will need more thought (in doubt, I would take the smaller one).

This depends on what portion of the flow you wish to study, as the Reynolds number requires a characteristic length scale and selecting that length scale depends on the geometry of the problem. So what part of the flow are you hoping to check for turbulence? If it is the wake created by the house, then it is likely the width of the house that should be used. If you want to know whether the atmospheric boundary layer itself is turbulent, the answer is almost invariably yes. Even if it is not, Reynolds number is itself meaningless for determining the laminar/turbulent state of an open flow like a boundary layer.

I am studying a 2D geometry so I just have the length and the height! Yes I wish to know if the flow around the house is turbulent...much away from the house (1-1.5km up) I have an unperturbated flow.

Okay, but you still haven't really unambiguously described what you mean by "the flow around the house" in this context. Do you mean the incoming boundary-layer flow or the wake behind the house? Like I said before, the wake would indicate the use of some spatial dimension of the house as the characteristic length in the Reynolds number. In this case it would be hard to say whether the height or width would be more appropriate, but I would suspect the height is more appropriate based solely on experience.

Otherwise, if you just want to know if the incoming flow is turbulent, I also said that the answer is essentially just "yes" with an atmospheric boundary layer. An atmospheric boundary layer is essentially always turbulent. Even if it wasn't, Reynolds number does not tell you whether a boundary layer is laminar or turbulent.

I'll also caution you that a 2D flow here will be very irrelevant when comparing to the actual, 3D flow around a house.

Related to Reynolds Number and Turbulence in Atmospheric Boundary Layers

1. What is the Reynolds Number in open space?

The Reynolds Number in open space is a dimensionless number used in fluid mechanics to measure the relative importance of viscous forces and inertial forces. It is typically denoted as Re and is defined as the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces.

2. How is the Reynolds Number calculated?

The Reynolds Number is calculated by multiplying the characteristic length of the flow (such as the diameter of a pipe or the length of a wing) by the velocity of the flow and dividing by the kinematic viscosity of the fluid. This can also be expressed as the product of the density, velocity, and characteristic length divided by the dynamic viscosity.

3. Why is the Reynolds Number important in open space?

The Reynolds Number is important in open space because it helps determine the type of flow that will occur. For low Reynolds Numbers, viscous forces dominate and flow will be laminar, while for high Reynolds Numbers, inertial forces dominate and flow will be turbulent. This is important for understanding the behavior of fluids in open space, such as air flow around spacecraft or propellant flow in rocket engines.

4. How does the Reynolds Number affect drag in open space?

The Reynolds Number has a significant impact on drag in open space. At low Reynolds Numbers, drag is dominated by viscous forces and is directly proportional to the Reynolds Number. As the Reynolds Number increases, the flow becomes turbulent and drag increases at a faster rate. This is why streamlined shapes are more efficient at reducing drag in open space, as they can maintain laminar flow at higher Reynolds Numbers.

5. Can the Reynolds Number change in open space?

Yes, the Reynolds Number can change in open space depending on the flow conditions. As the velocity or characteristic length of the flow changes, the Reynolds Number will also change. This can have a significant impact on the behavior of the fluid and the forces acting on objects in open space.

Back