\rho \to \pi \pi decay rate

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of chiral perturbation theory for mesons to calculate decay rates and the challenges faced in finding the matrix element squared. The Lagrangian for the \rho \to \pi \pi decay rate is given, and the desired result for the decay rate is also mentioned. The speaker mentions consulting textbooks for a way to express the matrix element using a Lagrangian, but only finding examples for QED. They express a desire to compute their own Feynman rules for chiral perturbation theory.
maelle
Hello everyone,

I'm using the chiral perturbation theory for mesons to calculate Vector into two Pseudoscalars decay rates - hopefully to be able to calculate Tensor into two pseudoscalars decay rates later on.

I've got the lagrangien for the \rho \to \pi \pi decay rate :

L= f_{\rho \pi \pi} \epsilon_{ijk} \rho_i^\mu \pi_j D_\mu \pi_k

and I've got to end up with

\Gamma (\rho \to \pi \pi) = f_{\rho \pi \pi}^2 / (48 \pi) m_\rho [1- 4 m_\pi^2/m_\rho^2]^3/2.

I'm at loss at how I'm supposed to find that the matrix element (squared) is

M^2 = 4/3 f_{\rho \pi \pi} p_\pi^2

where p_\pi^2 = (m_\rho^2 - 4 m_\pi^2)/4 - but that last part I found out.

I've been checking textbooks to find a nice way to express a matrix element using a Lagrangian but all I can find is that same thing only for QED, and using the Feynman rules for QED. I'd love to compute my Feynman rules for my chiral perturbation theory!

Please help me ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
cleaned up
maelle said:
Hello everyone,

I'm using the chiral perturbation theory for mesons to calculate Vector into two Pseudoscalars decay rates - hopefully to be able to calculate Tensor into two pseudoscalars decay rates later on.

I've got the lagrangien for the \rho \to \pi \pi decay rate :

[tex]L= f_{\rho \pi \pi} \epsilon_{ijk} \rho_i^\mu \pi_j D_\mu \pi_k[/tex]

and I've got to end up with

[tex]\Gamma (\rho \to \pi \pi) = f_{\rho \pi \pi}^2 / (48 \pi) m_\rho [1- 4 m_\pi^2/m_\rho^2]^3/2.[/tex]

I'm at loss at how I'm supposed to find that the matrix element (squared) is

[tex]M^2 = 4/3 f_{\rho \pi \pi} p_\pi^2[/tex]

where [tex]p_\pi^2 = (m_\rho^2 - 4 m_\pi^2)/4[/tex] - but that last part I found out.

I've been checking textbooks to find a nice way to express a matrix element using a Lagrangian but all I can find is that same thing only for QED, and using the Feynman rules for QED. I'd love to compute my Feynman rules for my chiral perturbation theory!

Please help me ;)

Way better, thanks! Didn't know there was a Latex interface here... Although for the decay rate it's

[tex]
\Gamma (\rho \to \pi \pi) = \frac{f_{\rho \pi \pi}^2 }{ 48 \pi } m_\rho [1- 4 m_\pi^2/m_\rho^2]^{3/2}.
[/tex]

sorry for the misunderstanding.

Any ideas?

Related to \rho \to \pi \pi decay rate

What is the definition of the decay rate for \rho \to \pi \pi?

The decay rate for \rho \to \pi \pi is a measure of how frequently a \rho particle decays into two \pi particles. It is usually denoted by the symbol \Gamma and has units of inverse time.

How is the decay rate for \rho \to \pi \pi experimentally determined?

The decay rate for \rho \to \pi \pi is determined by measuring the number of \rho particles that decay into two \pi particles in a given time interval. This can be done using particle colliders or detectors that can detect and measure the energies and momenta of the particles produced in the decay.

What factors can affect the decay rate for \rho \to \pi \pi?

The decay rate for \rho \to \pi \pi can be influenced by several factors, including the energy of the \rho particle, the masses of the \pi particles, and the presence of any other particles that may interact with the \rho particle. The decay rate can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and pressure.

How does the decay rate for \rho \to \pi \pi relate to the lifetime of the \rho particle?

The decay rate for \rho \to \pi \pi is directly related to the lifetime of the \rho particle through the relation \tau = \frac{1}{\Gamma}. This means that a higher decay rate corresponds to a shorter lifetime, and vice versa.

Are there any theoretical models that can predict the decay rate for \rho \to \pi \pi?

Yes, there are several theoretical models that can predict the decay rate for \rho \to \pi \pi, including the Standard Model of particle physics and various extensions to it. These models use mathematical equations to describe the interactions between particles and can be used to calculate the decay rate for a given process.