Ricci tensor of schwarzschild metric

In summary: I thought maybe he was talking about a general metric for Schwarzschild spacetimes.Thanks for catching that.It's always good to be careful reading and double checking what someone is saying.
PhyAmateur
In schwarzschild metric:

$$ds^2 = e^{v}dt^2 - e^{u}dr^2 - r^2(d\theta^2 +sin^2\theta d\phi^2)$$
where v and u are functions of r only
when we calculate the Ricci tensor $R_{\mu\nu}$ the non vanishing ones will only be $$R_{tt}$$,$$R_{rr}$$, $$R_{\theta\theta}$$,$$R_{\phi\phi}$$
But when u and v now depend on r and t, we get an extra term of Ricci tensor which is the
$$R_{tr}$$ I thought that if our matrix is diagonal we should not get a non diagonal Ricci tensor and all the Ricci tensors must be diagonal. Am I mistaken?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are mistaken that all Ricci tensors must be diagonal. The Ricci tensor is symmetric, but it does not have to be diagonal.

Likes PhyAmateur
Aha, is there a way to find out which are the nonvanishing? Or I will have to try it for every single pair?

No, a diagonal metric tensor doesn't have to lead to diagonal ricci tensor. That is because it may be true that [itex]g_{\mu \nu}[/itex] is diagonal, in practice only [itex]g_{\mu \mu}[/itex] is non-vanishing, however the Ricci Tensor also has indices that come from derivatives of [itex]g_{\mu \nu}[/itex], and since the last can depend on any [itex]x^\rho[/itex] then its derivatives don't have to vanish in general. In other word you can't write [itex] R_{\mu \nu} = (A) g_{\mu \nu} [/itex] with [itex]A[/itex] an index free operator with derivatives etc...

As for whether you can determine the non-vanishing, I think you have to look at the Ricci tensor's form before determining it. In most books I've seen they always start and derive everything up to Ricci scalar...

Likes PhyAmateur
pervect said:
because it's a vacuum space-time

I'm not sure the OP was only talking about the vacuum Schwarzschild metric; based on the line element he wrote down, I think he intended the more general usage of "Schwarzschild-type metric", meaning a metric for a spherically symmetric spacetime, not necessarily vacuum, that uses Schwarzschild coordinates (i.e., spherical coordinates with ##r## defined as circumference divided by ##2 \pi## ). This usage is not terribly common, AFAICT, but it is found, for example, at some points in MTW.

Ooops, that's the interior Schwarzschild metric...

PeterDonis said:
I'm not sure the OP was only talking about the vacuum Schwarzschild metric;
Yeah, my bad

Related to Ricci tensor of schwarzschild metric

1. What is the Ricci tensor of the Schwarzschild metric?

The Ricci tensor of the Schwarzschild metric is a mathematical object that describes the curvature of spacetime in the vicinity of a non-rotating and uncharged black hole. It is an important component of Einstein's general theory of relativity and is used to calculate the gravitational field of the black hole.

2. How is the Ricci tensor related to the Schwarzschild metric?

The Ricci tensor is derived from the Schwarzschild metric, which is a solution to Einstein's field equations that describe the curvature of spacetime due to a massive object. The Ricci tensor is a mathematical expression that summarizes the curvature of spacetime in terms of the energy and momentum distribution of matter and radiation.

3. What does the Ricci tensor tell us about the geometry of spacetime around a black hole?

The Ricci tensor is a mathematical tool that allows us to quantitatively describe the curvature of spacetime around a black hole. It tells us how spacetime is warped and distorted by the presence of a massive object, and how this curvature affects the motion of other objects and the propagation of light.

4. How is the Ricci tensor used in the study of black holes?

The Ricci tensor is used in the study of black holes to calculate the gravitational effects of these objects on their surroundings. It is also used to determine the stability and dynamics of black holes, as well as to understand the behavior of matter and radiation in the extreme conditions near a black hole.

5. Can the Ricci tensor of the Schwarzschild metric be extended to other types of black holes?

Yes, the Ricci tensor can be extended to other types of black holes, such as rotating black holes and charged black holes. In these cases, the metric and the corresponding Ricci tensor will have additional terms that take into account the rotation and charge of the black hole, respectively. However, the basic principles and equations used to describe the black hole's curvature and gravitational effects remain the same.