Ricocheting Bullet (elastic collisions)

In summary, a 100-kg stone is resting on a frictionless, horizontal surface. A 6.00g bullet traveling horizontally at 350 m/s strikes the stone and rebounds horizontally at a right angle with a speed of 250 m/s. The total momentum in each direction must be the same before and after the collision. The bullet comes in from the north and bounces off at a 45-degree angle, resulting in a change in direction from vertical to horizontal. The stone's velocity after the collision can be determined by applying the equations for conservation of kinetic and momentum.
needphyshelp

Homework Statement

.100-kg stone rets on a frictionless, horizontal surface. A bullet of mass 6.00g, traveling horizontally at 350 m/s, strikes the stone and rebounds horizontally at right angles to its original direction with a speed of 250 m/s. (a) Compute the magnitude and direction of the velocity of the stone after it is struck.

Homework Equations

Kfinal=Kinitial
Pfinal=Pinitial

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem with this question is that I cannot visualize it so I do not know how to try and solve it. I am confused because the bullet is initially traveling horizontally, but then is rebounding horizontally but at a right angle to the horizontal...? I thought it was just giving me the x-component of velocity for the bullet, but wouldn't the situation described be vertical?

Physics news on Phys.org
It bounces off horizontally,
Picture it coming in from the north, hitting a 45degree angle face of the stone and bouncing off going east.

The important point is that the total momentum in each direction (eg North-South and East-West) must be the same before and after.

If it is coming from the north, wouldn't it be coming in with a vertical velocity? Or is this just a matter of defining axes?

North as on a map.
Or if you prefer imagine a flat piece of graph paper where the bullet is coming down the y-axis and bounces off up the x-axis.

Last edited:
ohhhhhh. that makes sense.
thank you so much for your quick reply!

Related to Ricocheting Bullet (elastic collisions)

1. What is a ricocheting bullet?

A ricocheting bullet is a bullet that bounces off a surface after impact rather than penetrating through it. This occurs due to an elastic collision between the bullet and the surface.

2. How does a ricocheting bullet work?

A ricocheting bullet works by transferring its momentum and kinetic energy to the surface it hits. The bullet deforms upon impact, causing it to change direction and bounce off the surface at an angle.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a ricocheting bullet?

The trajectory of a ricocheting bullet is affected by factors such as the bullet's velocity, the angle at which it hits the surface, the material and shape of the surface, and the bullet's shape and mass.

4. Can a ricocheting bullet be deadly?

Yes, a ricocheting bullet can be deadly. The bullet may change direction and continue to travel with significant force, potentially causing injury or death to bystanders or objects in its path.

5. Are there ways to reduce the risk of a ricocheting bullet?

Yes, there are ways to reduce the risk of a ricocheting bullet. Using low-ricochet ammunition, shooting at a downward angle, and using proper backstops or bullet traps can help prevent ricochets and ensure the bullet is safely stopped.