(Riemann) Integrability under composition of functions

In summary, the integrability of a composition of functions is not necessarily guaranteed, but if one of the functions is continuous, then the composition will be integrable regardless of the other function's continuity. In the case of a continuous g and discontinuous f, there is no counterexample where f(g(x)) is not integrable.
Mathmos6

Homework Statement

I've been looking at how integrable functions behave under composition, and I know that if f and g are integrable, f(g(x)) is not necessarily integrable, but it -is- necessarily integrable if f is continuous, regardless of whether g is. So I was wondering, what about if g is continuous and f wasn't, rather than f was? Is there an example of a discontinuous integrable f and a continuous integrable g such that f(g(x)) is non-integrable?

I don't want an explicit proof of the answer, but I'd just like to know whether there is or isn't such an example, so I can begin looking for a counterexample or a proof as appropriate, rather than ending up trying to prove something which is false or look for a counterexample for something which is true. My intuition tells me there isn't a counterexample, but I've found relying on intuition in analysis is a very bad idea!

Thanks,

Mathmos6

Physics news on Phys.org
No, there is no counterexample, and the proof is relatively simple (aka don't try too hard.).

FAQ: (Riemann) Integrability under composition of functions

1. What is (Riemann) Integrability under composition of functions?

(Riemann) Integrability under composition of functions is a mathematical concept that refers to the ability to integrate a composite function, which is formed by combining two or more simpler functions. It is a way to calculate the area under a curve when the function is made up of multiple smaller functions.

2. How is (Riemann) Integrability under composition of functions different from regular integrability?

The main difference is that (Riemann) Integrability under composition of functions involves integrating a composite function, while regular integrability deals with integrating a single function. This means that in order to integrate a composite function, one must use techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

3. What are the requirements for a function to be (Riemann) Integrable under composition?

In order for a function to be (Riemann) Integrable under composition, it must be continuous and have a finite number of discontinuities within the interval of integration. Additionally, the function must also be bounded within that interval.

4. Can any function be (Riemann) Integrable under composition?

No, not all functions are (Riemann) Integrable under composition. Some functions, such as those that are not continuous or have an infinite number of discontinuities, cannot be integrated using this method. In these cases, other integration techniques must be used.

5. What are some practical applications of (Riemann) Integrability under composition of functions?

(Riemann) Integrability under composition of functions has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. For example, it can be used to calculate the work done by a varying force, the displacement of a moving object, or the average value of a function over a given interval.

Back