Why is the summation in the first part from k=0 to n-1?

In summary: Why is it not (k=1 to n)?Because the indices of summation are just dummy variables. I could have just as well written:I_n=\frac{7}{n}\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}\left(4-7\left(1+i\left(\frac{7}{n}\right)\right)\right)orI_n=\frac{7}{n}\sum_{j=0}^{n-1}\left(4-7\left(1+j\left(\frac{7}{n}\right)\right)\right)and it would mean the same thing.
VikramAhuja
∫(4−7x)dx ====> Integral is from 1 to 8

Similar question but for some reason I can't get the answer after following all the steps

Physics news on Phys.org
VikramAhuja said:
∫(4−7x)dx ====> Integral is from 1 to 8

Similar question but for some reason I can't get the answer after following all the steps

I have moved your post to its own thread so that the other thread does not become convoluted.

Using a similar argument in my first post of the other thread, we can apply some simple geometry to see that the result should be:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_1^8 4-7x\,dx=-\left(3\cdot7 + \frac{1}{2}7\cdot49\right)=-\frac{385}{2}\)

Now, in setting up the left-hand sum, we may begin with:

\(\displaystyle I_n=\frac{7}{n}\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}\left(4-7\left(1+k\left(\frac{7}{n}\right)\right)\right)\)

Are you with me so far?

Yes I've got to (7/n^2)((43n^2-49n)/2)

Apparently it is wrong

Okay, my next step would be:

\(\displaystyle I_n=-\frac{7}{n^2}\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}\left(3n+49k\right)\)

And next, I would write:

\(\displaystyle I_n=-\frac{7}{n^2}\left(3n\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}(1)+49\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}(k)\right)\)

Using summation formulas, there results:

\(\displaystyle I_n=-\frac{7}{n^2}\left(3n^2+49\frac{n(n-1)}{2}\right)\)

Now, factor out a \(\displaystyle \frac{n}{2}\), distribute and combine like terms. What do you find?

Nevermind I got it but now with lower sums?

Last edited:
VikramAhuja said:
Would the answer be (-7(55*n-49))/(2*n)

Yes, I also get:

\(\displaystyle I_n=-\frac{7(55n-49)}{2n}\)

VikramAhuja said:
How'd you get this? (-7/n^2) ?

We initially had \(\displaystyle -\frac{7}{n}\) in front of the sum as a factor, and then I factored out \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{n}\) and then after combining terms, the summand became $3n+49k$.

Sorry I edited my post

VikramAhuja said:
Nevermind I got it but now with lower sums?

Can you show what you think the sum should initially be?

No I'm rather confused with lower sums

The right-hand sum will simply be:

\(\displaystyle I_n=\frac{7}{n}\sum_{k=1}^{n}\left(4-7\left(1+k\left(\frac{7}{n}\right)\right)\right)\)

Thanks a lot mate.

One last question. Why is the summition in the first part sum_{n-1}^{k=0}

VikramAhuja said:
One last question. Why is the summition in the first part sum_{n-1}^{k=0}

In the left-hand sum, the height of each rectangle is taken to be the integrand's value on the left side of each regular partition, so the index of summation needs to go from $k=0$ to $k=n-1$.

Table.jpg

Related to Why is the summation in the first part from k=0 to n-1?

1. What is a Riemann sum?

A Riemann sum is a method for approximating the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller subintervals and adding together the areas of rectangles that represent the height and width of each subinterval. It is used in calculus to calculate integrals.

2. What is a linear integrand?

A linear integrand is a function whose graph is a straight line. It can be represented by the equation y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. Examples of linear integrands include f(x) = 2x + 3 and g(x) = -0.5x + 1.

3. How do you calculate a Riemann sum for a linear integrand?

To calculate a Riemann sum for a linear integrand, you first need to divide the interval into smaller subintervals of equal width. Then, for each subinterval, you can find the height of the rectangle by plugging in the x-value of the subinterval into the linear function. Finally, you add together the areas of all the rectangles to get an approximation of the area under the curve.

4. What is the relationship between Riemann sums and the definite integral?

Riemann sums are closely related to the definite integral, as they are used to approximate the value of a definite integral. As the number of subintervals used in the Riemann sum increases, the approximation gets closer to the actual value of the definite integral.

5. How do Riemann sums relate to the concept of limits?

Riemann sums are a type of limit, specifically a type of limit known as a definite integral. As the number of subintervals used in the Riemann sum approaches infinity, the approximation of the area under the curve becomes more and more accurate, and the Riemann sum approaches the value of the definite integral.