Right angle trigonometry homework question

In summary, the problem involves finding the coordinates of two holes drilled in a steel plate that has the form of one-fourth of a circle with a radius of 60 centimeters. The solution involves using the given information of the two holes being positioned at angles of 30° and 60° from the horizontal edge and a radial distance of 56 cm from the center. The solution manual utilizes the concept of polar coordinates and uses a 30-60-90 right triangle with a hypotenuse of 56 cm to find the coordinates of the holes.
xxwinexx

Homework Statement

A steel plate has the form of one-fourth of a circle with a radius of 60 centimeters. Two two-centimeter holes are to be drilled in the plate positioned as shown in the figure. Find the coordinates of the center of each hole.

Homework Equations

I know it's got to be a simple sin/cos right angle equation, but I've no clue how they came about to getting the 56 centimeter measurement to be the hypotenuse on the solution that I have in my manual.

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted drawing a few right angle triangles that I thought would work, but nothing came from it. If someone could explain how the solution manual was able to get a triangle with 56 as the hypotenuse, I would be able to move forward from there.

I've attached both the image of the problem, and the image of the first part of the solution worked out.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-28 at 3.24.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-28 at 3.24.39 PM.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 4,281
  • Screen Shot 2012-11-28 at 3.23.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-28 at 3.23.23 PM.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 4,915
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for the first hole you have a 30-60-90 rt triangle with hyp 56 so you should be able to compute the x1 and y1

similarly for the x2 y2

It's because it's the radius of the circle. Every hypotenuse along the circumference of a circle that is measured from the centre is going to be the radius of the circle.

xxwinexx said:

Homework Statement

A steel plate has the form of one-fourth of a circle with a radius of 60 centimeters. Two two-centimeter holes are to be drilled in the plate positioned as shown in the figure. Find the coordinates of the center of each hole.

Homework Equations

I know it's got to be a simple sin/cos right angle equation, but I've no clue how they came about to getting the 56 centimeter measurement to be the hypotenuse on the solution that I have in my manual.
It looks to me like the two drilled holes are a radial distance of 56 cm from the center, and at angles of 30° and 60° from the horizontal edge.

These values aren't calculated - they're part of the given information in the problem. The positions of the two holes are essentially in polar coordinates, and your job is to find the rectangular coordinates of the holes.
xxwinexx said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted drawing a few right angle triangles that I thought would work, but nothing came from it. If someone could explain how the solution manual was able to get a triangle with 56 as the hypotenuse, I would be able to move forward from there.

I've attached both the image of the problem, and the image of the first part of the solution worked out.

jedishrfu said:
for the first hole you have a 30-60-90 rt triangle with hyp 56 so you should be able to compute the x1 and y1

similarly for the x2 y2

Right, that's basically what the solution is saying, I guess I just can't see how they figured that right triangle/hypotenuse out..

Edit: Ohhhh...I wasn't thinking of the 56 as a radial measurement. I feel really dumb now. Thanks guys!

FAQ: Right angle trigonometry homework question

1. What is a right angle?

A right angle is an angle with a measure of exactly 90 degrees. It is formed when two lines intersect and create two equal angles on either side of the intersection.

2. What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is used to solve problems involving right triangles, such as finding missing side lengths or angles.

3. What is the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. This can be written as a^2 + b^2 = c^2, where a and b are the lengths of the legs and c is the length of the hypotenuse.

4. How do I find the missing side length of a right triangle using trigonometry?

To find a missing side length, you can use one of the trigonometric ratios: sine, cosine, or tangent. These ratios relate the side lengths of a right triangle to the measures of its angles. For example, to find the length of the side opposite an angle, you can use the sine ratio: sin(angle) = opposite/hypotenuse.

5. How can I use trigonometry in real life?

Trigonometry has many applications in real life, such as in engineering, architecture, and navigation. For example, engineers use trigonometry to calculate the angles and distances in a bridge or building design. Pilots and sailors use trigonometry to navigate and determine their position using the stars and other celestial bodies.

Back