Right triangle, describe dx as dθ

In summary, the problem is to find dx in terms of R and θ, given a right triangle with legs of length x and R, where angle θ is opposite x. The solution is dx = (R/cos^2 θ) dθ. The attempt at a solution involved using standard trig functions and the Pythagorean theorem. A mistake was made in the original equation, but it was corrected to dx/dθ = R sec2θ. The trick to solving this problem is to use the fact that x = R tan(θ), which leads to dx/dθ = R sec2θ.
quantum13
1. Homework Statement
This is part of a find the electric field problem. I've narrowed down the part I find confusing.

Consider a right triangle, with legs of length x and R. Angle θ is opposite x. Leg x is a segment of a ray starting where lines x and R intersect. There is a differential length dx along line x (it is at a vertex of the right triangle). Find dx in terms of R and θ.

2. Homework Equations
standard trig functions, pythagorean theorem?

3. The Attempt at a Solution
The answer according to the solutions manual is dx = (R/cos^2 θ) dθ. Obviously, I cannot understand at all where that came from.

I did get R tan ( θ + dθ) = x + dx but that isn't very helpful either

Physics news on Phys.org
Since x = R tan(θ), then dx/dθ = R sec2θ.

So what does this give for dx?

Last edited:
man, this makes me feel dumb

thanks for pointing out that dx = (1 / cos2θ) dθ. i would have never guessed that trick by myself

but where does the R come into that equation?

Just a careless typo. I fixed it with an edit. dx/dθ = R sec2θ

this stupid part is i didnt realize it was a typo either.. but thank you for this trick. i never thought like that before

Related to Right triangle, describe dx as dθ

What is a right triangle?

A right triangle is a type of triangle that has one angle measuring 90 degrees. It is also known as a 90-degree triangle.

What is the meaning of "dx" in relation to a right triangle?

In relation to a right triangle, "dx" refers to the length of the side adjacent to the angle θ.

What does "dθ" represent in a right triangle?

"dθ" represents the change in the angle θ in a right triangle. It is often used in calculus to describe the rate of change of a function with respect to the angle θ.

How is dx related to dθ in a right triangle?

In a right triangle, dx and dθ are related by the trigonometric function cosine, where dx = dθ*cos(θ). This relationship is known as the cosine rule.

Why is it important to describe dx as dθ in a right triangle?

Describing dx as dθ in a right triangle allows for a more precise and accurate understanding of the relationship between the angle and the side length. It is also useful in calculus when finding derivatives and integrals involving trigonometric functions.