Right Triangle Question for physics problem

In summary, to find the angle and velocity of a projectile, you can use the trig functions and the equation d=vit+1/2at^2.
1irishman

Homework Statement

given only the time in the air and the range horizontally of one projectile. How can i find the angle and velocity of the projectile?

Homework Equations

trig functions?

The Attempt at a Solution

not sure how...hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just begin with angle A and initial velocity V and proceed boldly as if you know the numbers. Separate the initial velocity into horizontal and vertical parts. Then write two headings:
Horizontal and Vertical. Decide in each case whether you have constant speed or accelerated motion and write the appropriate
formula(s). Put in the numbers or expressions for all known
quantities and look for an equation you can solve.

Hmmm...okay...well, I'm thinking i might be able to use one or both of these equations to start:
d=vit+1/2at^2
vf=vi+at
Now, i have drawn two headings labeled horizontal and vertical and this is where i find it really tricky:
under horizontal i have put these values: vi=0, a=0, d=50m, t=3
under vertical i have put these values: vi=0, a=-9.80m/s^2, vf=0, d=0,t=3

i'm confused as to which heading i should place distance and time under both or just one of them? Also not sure about my other values? More hints please?

Sorry, the original problem gave a range of 50m and total air time of 3s.

Put the numbers in all three formulas. Just d = vt for horizontal.
Looks like the horizontal formula will give you a numeric value for v*cos(A) and one of the vertical ones will give you v*sin(A). Knowing both initial velocity components you can quickly find the magnitude and angle.

Do you mean put 3s and 50m in all three formulas? For horizontal velocity i got 16.7m/s.

Yes, agree. Vertical velocity 14.7.

I see, so the hypotenuse should have value 16.7m/s and the adjacent side should have value 50? Thanks.

range of 50m and total air time of 3s.

So the vertical component is always independent of the horizontal component... so

Vx = Dx / t

so Vx = 50/3 m/s

so...

(delta) y = Vyot+1/2gt^2

0 = Vyo(3)+1/2(-9.80)9

0 = Vyo(3) -44.1

44.1/3 = Vyo

14.7 = Vy

so Vx = (50/3) m/s and Vy = (14.7) m/s

so Vr = sqrt(Vx^2 + Vy^2)

so Vr = 22.2 m/s

so for angle you can just Sin-1 of (14.7/(50/3))

so your angle of launch is 61.9 degrees.

oh okay...hmm...the answer in the book says 41 degrees is angle of launch.

i used sin-1 14.7/22.2=41 degrees

I also get 41.4. Bleedblue should have used inverse tan instead of inverse sin in his last step.

Thanks Delphi

Related to Right Triangle Question for physics problem

1. What is a right triangle in physics?

A right triangle is a type of triangle in which one of the angles measures 90 degrees. In physics, right triangles are commonly used in calculating the components of vectors and in solving problems involving forces and motion.

2. How do I determine the hypotenuse of a right triangle in a physics problem?

The hypotenuse of a right triangle can be determined using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In physics, the hypotenuse is often used to represent the resultant force or displacement in a problem.

3. Can a right triangle be used to solve problems involving non-right angles?

Yes, a right triangle can be used to solve problems involving non-right angles by using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions relate the lengths of the sides of a right triangle to its angles.

4. How do I determine the angle of a right triangle in a physics problem?

The angle of a right triangle can be determined using inverse trigonometric functions, such as arcsine, arccosine, and arctangent. These functions can be used to solve for an angle when the lengths of the sides of a right triangle are known.

5. Can a right triangle be used in 3-dimensional physics problems?

Yes, a right triangle can be used in 3-dimensional physics problems by extending the Pythagorean theorem to 3 dimensions. This can be done by finding the length of the diagonal of a right rectangular prism, which is equivalent to the hypotenuse of a right triangle formed by the three dimensions.