Ring and Linear Transformation

In summary, we are given that g(x) is an element of the polynomial ring F[x] and T is a linear operator on a vector space V over the field F. We define F[T] as the subring of L(V) generated by F and T. If g(T) is invertible, then the inverse of g(T) is also an element of F[T].
Treadstone 71
Let [tex]g(x)\in F[x][/tex], [tex]T\in L(V)[/tex]. Let [tex]F[T][/tex] be a ring generated by [tex]g(T)[/tex]. Show that if [tex]g(T)[/tex] is invertible, then [tex]g^{-1}(T)\in F[T][/tex].

No idea what do do.

Physics news on Phys.org
The statement of the problem is confusing. I'm going to assume V is a vector space over the field F.

Now, F[T] is not just "a" ring -- it is a very specific ring. It is (isomorphic to) the subring of L(V) that is generated by F and T.

So, I'm confused when you say that you let it be "a ring generated by g(T)".

Did you mean to say something to the effect if:

"Suppose g(T) generates F[T]"

or maybe

"Let F[g(T)] be the ring generated by g(T)"

or even just

"So g(T) is an element of F[T]"

?

(I suspect you meant the first one -- work out what that really means)

It's either the first or third. Let's assume the first, since I must show that the inverse of g(T) is a positive powered polynomial.

Okay, so what does it mean that g(T) generates F[T]? Any interesting particular cases?

FAQ: Ring and Linear Transformation

What is a ring transformation?

A ring transformation is a mathematical operation that takes a set of elements and maps them onto another set. It is a type of algebraic structure that is used to study symmetry and other properties of mathematical objects.

What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps a vector space onto itself, preserving the structure and properties of the original vector space. It is a fundamental operation in linear algebra and is used to study linear equations and systems.

What is the difference between a ring transformation and a linear transformation?

The main difference between a ring transformation and a linear transformation is that a ring transformation maps one set onto another, while a linear transformation maps a vector space onto itself. In other words, a ring transformation is a mapping between two different sets, while a linear transformation is a mapping within a single set.

What are some examples of ring transformations?

Some examples of ring transformations include rotation, reflection, and translation in geometry, as well as operations such as addition and multiplication in algebra. In chemistry, ring transformations can also refer to the rearrangement of atoms in a chemical compound.

How are ring transformations and linear transformations used in scientific research?

Ring transformations and linear transformations are widely used in scientific research, particularly in fields such as physics, chemistry, and computer science. They are fundamental tools for understanding and solving complex mathematical problems and can be used to model real-world phenomena, make predictions, and develop new technologies.