Ring Homomorphism - showing Multiplicativity

• Thread starter RVP91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring
In summary, the conversation discusses a map Q: A --> Z/2Z, defined by Q(a + bi) = (a + b) + 2Z, where A = Z[i] = {a + bi | a,b in Z} and i = √-1. The task at hand is to prove that this map is a ring homomorphism. The conversation outlines the steps taken to show additivity and seeks help in showing multiplicativity. The suggested approach is to consider cases and work out the other possibilities for Q(a+bi).
RVP91
Hi,

I have the following map Q: A --> Z/2Z (where Z denotes the symbol for integers) defined by
Q(a + bi) = (a + b) + 2Z

where A = Z = {a + bi | a,b in Z} and i = √-1.

I need to show it is a ring homomorphism.

I have shown it is addivitivity by showing Q(a + b) = Q(a) + Q(b) by doing the following,
Q((a+bi)+(c+di)) = Q((a+c)+(b+d)i) = a+c+b+d+2Z = (a+b+2Z)+(c+d+2Z) = Q(a+bi) + Q(c+di)

Now for multiplicativity i know I have to show Q(ab) = Q(a)Q(b) but my working out seems to break down when i try to show LHS = RHS or RHS = LHS.

This is how I approached it thus far, LHS = RHS
Q((a+bi)(c+di)) = Q((ac-bd)+(ad+bc)i) = ac-bd+ad+bc+2Z and then I'm not sure where to go as nowhere seems to take me to what I need to show.

Any help would be most appreciated, thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Q(a+bi) is really pretty simple. If both a and b are even then Q(a+bi)=a+b+2Z=0+2Z, since a+b is even. If a is even and b is odd then Q(a+bi)=1+2Z. Can you work out the other cases and show it's a multiplicative homomorphism by considering cases?

Last edited:

Related to Ring Homomorphism - showing Multiplicativity

1. What is the definition of a ring homomorphism?

A ring homomorphism is a function between two rings that preserves the ring structure, meaning it preserves the operations of addition and multiplication as well as the identity elements and distributive properties.

2. How do you show that a ring homomorphism is multiplicative?

To show that a ring homomorphism is multiplicative, you must demonstrate that the function preserves the multiplication operation. This means that for any two elements a and b in the first ring, the homomorphism must satisfy the equation f(a*b) = f(a)*f(b).

3. What is the difference between a ring homomorphism and a ring isomorphism?

A ring homomorphism preserves the ring structure, while a ring isomorphism also has the property of being bijective, meaning it is both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto). This means that a ring isomorphism not only preserves operations, but also the number and structure of elements in the rings.

4. Can a ring homomorphism be multiplicative if it is not additive?

No, a ring homomorphism must preserve both addition and multiplication operations in order to be considered multiplicative. If it does not preserve addition, it would not be considered a ring homomorphism at all.

5. Are there any other properties that a ring homomorphism must satisfy?

In addition to preserving addition and multiplication, a ring homomorphism must also preserve the identity elements. This means that the function must map the identity element of the first ring to the identity element of the second ring. It must also preserve the distributive properties, meaning that for any three elements a, b, and c in the first ring, the homomorphism must satisfy the equation f(a*(b+c)) = f(a)*f(b) + f(a)*f(c).