Ring of Continuous Functions on a normal Space

In summary: So we have found a function f that satisfies the conditions of Urysohn's lemma. Then we can use Tietze's extension theorem to extend f to a continuous function on X, and this function will satisfy the conditions for the subbasis. Hence, the subbasis generates a topology that is coarser than T, and every function in R remains continuous under this topology. Therefore, T must be the coarsest topology such that every function in R is continuous.In summary, the conversation discusses proving that the topology T is the coarsest topology such that every function in the ring R of continuous real-valued functions remains continuous. This is done by using Urysohn's lemma and Tietze's extension theorem to show that the
deluks917

Homework Statement

Let (X,T) be a normal topological space. Let R be the ring of continuous real-valued functions (with respect to the given topology T) from X onto the real line. Prove that the that T is the coarsest Topology such that every function in R is continuous.

Homework Equations

Urshown's Lemma: If X is a normal Topological Space and A,B are closed subsets of X then there is a continuous real-valued function s.t. f(A) = 1, f(B) = 0 and 0<= f(x) <= 1.

Tietze Extension Theorem - If X is normal, A is a closed subset of X and f is a continuous real valued function on A then f can be extended to a continuous function on X (i.e. there exists a continuous function g on X s.t. the restriction of g to A is f). In fact we can have |g| <= max|f|.

The Attempt at a Solution

If X is a metric space we can consider the distance to the compliment of A. This function call it d is continuous and the inverse image of (0,inf) is A.

Physics news on Phys.org
So ,what you can actually show is that every open set G of X, has the form [tex]G=f^{-1}(U)[/tex], with U open in R.

To do this, apply the Urysohn lemma.

I can't seem to do this though it seems like the right way to do the problem. Say we find a function that is zero on the compliment of A so that f-1(0a,inf) = A. How do we get f to not equal zero on A itself? More generally how do we make f-1(A) and f-1(AC) disjoint.

Well, to be honest, what I wrote in my first post is not completely true. But I wrote it that way to give an idea about how the proof should go.

The coarsest topology such that all continuous remains continuous is given by the following subbasis:

[tex]\{f^{-1}(U)~\vert~U~\text{open in R}, f\in \mathcal{C}(X,R)\}[/tex]

So we must prove that the above set is a subbasis for the topology on X. For this you must show: for every open set G in X and for every x in G, there exist continuous functions fi and open set Ui in R, such that

[tex]x\in \bigcap_i{f_i^{-1}(U_i)}\subseteq G[/tex]

Now, try to prove this...

Thank you very much. We can just take f(x) = 0 and f(AC) = 1 then f-1((-inf,1)) is contained in A, contains x and is open.

Yes, that is good!

Related to Ring of Continuous Functions on a normal Space

1. What is a "Ring of Continuous Functions" on a normal space?

A ring of continuous functions on a normal space is a set of continuous functions defined on a normal topological space, closed under addition, subtraction, and multiplication.

2. How is a "Ring of Continuous Functions" different from a "Ring of Functions"?

A ring of continuous functions is a subset of the larger set of all functions, which may include discontinuous functions. A ring of continuous functions only contains functions that are continuous on a given normal space.

3. What properties must a normal space have for a "Ring of Continuous Functions" to exist on it?

A normal space must have the property that any two disjoint closed sets can be separated by disjoint open sets in order for a ring of continuous functions to exist on it.

4. Can a "Ring of Continuous Functions" be defined on a non-normal space?

No, a ring of continuous functions can only be defined on a normal space. If a space does not have the necessary properties for normality, then a ring of continuous functions cannot exist on it.

5. What are some applications of a "Ring of Continuous Functions" in science and mathematics?

A ring of continuous functions has applications in analysis, functional analysis, topology, and other areas of mathematics. It is also useful in physics and engineering for modeling and solving problems that involve continuous functions.