Ripening Fruits: Tips for Planning & Design Lab Experiments

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for tips on conducting a first planning and design lab, with the focus on the observation that fruits ripen quickly when wrapped in paper and placed in a cupboard. The speaker proposes three hypothesis to test this observation, and also asks for advice on the quantity of fruits to test and the duration of the experiment.
Boogeyman
I need to do my first planning and design lab but I need some general tips. The observation is that when fruits are wrapped in paper and put in a cupboard they ripen quickly.

The attempt at a solution
Now I have to come up with 3 hypothesis based on the obs. Am I right if I say:
  1. Fruits that are placed in still air ripen more quickly than those that are not.
  2. Fruits ripen more quickly in darkness than in light.
  3. Fruits wrapped in paper ripen more quickly than those that are not.

Also I need to know how much fruits I should state that would be tested in the experiment.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your three numerated points are all good conditions to test. Your question after those points suggests a variable to test, or at least another condtion to test across your three numerated points.

Yes, I want to know what is a suitable quantity of fruits that should be theoretically tested...I would use bananas in the experiment. How much and for how long?

FAQ: Ripening Fruits: Tips for Planning & Design Lab Experiments

What is the purpose of studying ripening fruits in a lab experiment?

The purpose of studying ripening fruits in a lab experiment is to understand the factors that affect the ripening process and how it can be controlled. This knowledge can then be used to improve the quality and shelf life of fruits, as well as inform agricultural practices.

What are some factors that can affect the ripening process in fruits?

Some factors that can affect the ripening process in fruits include temperature, humidity, ethylene gas, and physical damage. These factors can either speed up or slow down the ripening process, and understanding their effects is important in planning and designing lab experiments.

How can I design a lab experiment to study fruit ripening?

To design a lab experiment to study fruit ripening, you will need to identify the specific research question or hypothesis you want to investigate. Then, you can plan the experimental setup, including the type of fruits, control and experimental groups, and variables to measure. It is also important to consider the duration of the experiment and how you will analyze and interpret the data collected.

What are some common methods for measuring fruit ripening?

Some common methods for measuring fruit ripening include physical observation of color and texture, chemical analysis of sugars, acidity, and ethylene production, and sensory evaluation by trained panelists. Each method has its advantages and limitations, and the choice will depend on the specific research question and resources available.

How can the findings from a lab experiment on fruit ripening be applied in real life?

The findings from a lab experiment on fruit ripening can be applied in real life by informing agricultural practices, such as post-harvest handling and storage conditions, to improve the quality and shelf life of fruits. The knowledge gained can also be used in food processing and distribution to ensure that fruits reach consumers at their optimal ripeness.