Rlaydab's question from Math Help Forum

• MHB
  • Thread starter Sudharaka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forum
In summary, to solve the equation \(\sin^{2}n\theta - \sin^{2}(n-1)\theta = \sin^{2}\theta\), we can use the sum to product identities to get the equation \(\sin\theta[\sin(2n-1)\theta-\sin\theta]=0\). This leads to three possible solutions: \(\theta=n_{1}\pi\), \(\theta=\frac{n_{2}\pi}{n-1}\), or \(\theta=\frac{2n_{3}\pi}{n}\), where \(n_{1},\,n_{2},\,n_{3}\in\mathbb{Z}\). It is also
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Original Title: could you help me on this trigonometry function

rlaydab said:
Solve : \(\sin^{2}n\theta - \sin^{2}(n-1)\theta = \sin^{2}\theta\)

Hi rlaydab, :)

\[\sin^{2}n\theta - \sin^{2}(n-1)\theta = \sin^{2}\theta\]

\[\Rightarrow [\sin n\theta - \sin (n-1)\theta][\sin n\theta + \sin (n-1)\theta] = \sin^{2}\theta\]

Using sum to product identities we get,

\[\sin(2n-1)\theta\sin\theta=\sin^{2}\theta\]

\[\Rightarrow \sin\theta[\sin(2n-1)\theta-\sin\theta]=0\]

\[\Rightarrow \sin\theta\sin(n-1)\theta\cos n\theta=0\]

\[\Rightarrow \theta=n_{1}\pi\mbox{ or }(n-1)\theta=n_{2}\pi\mbox{ or }n\theta=2n_{3}\pi\mbox{ where }n_{1},\,n_{2},\,n_{3}\in\mathbb{Z}\]

\[\therefore \theta=n_{1}\pi\mbox{ or }\theta=\frac{n_{2}\pi}{n-1}\mbox{ or }\theta=\frac{2n_{3}\pi}{n}\mbox{ where }n_{1},\,n_{2},\,n_{3}\in\mathbb{Z}\]

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Great job on solving the trigonometry function! Your use of the sum to product identities was a smart approach to solving the equation. Your final solutions are also correct and well-explained. Just a small suggestion, it might be helpful to mention that the solutions are in terms of n, as it might not be clear to someone who is not familiar with the notation. Overall, great work and keep up the good problem-solving skills!

FAQ: Rlaydab's question from Math Help Forum

1. What is the context of Rlaydab's question from Math Help Forum?

Rlaydab's question is about a specific math problem that they are struggling with and seeking help from the community.

2. Can you provide more background information on Rlaydab's question?

Unfortunately, as a scientist, I do not have access to the specific question and would not be able to provide any additional background information. However, I suggest reaching out to Rlaydab or checking the Math Help Forum for more details.

3. How can I help Rlaydab with their question?

If you are knowledgeable in the subject and have an understanding of Rlaydab's question, you can offer your assistance by providing a clear and thorough explanation of the solution. You can also offer helpful tips and resources for further understanding.

4. Is Rlaydab's question from Math Help Forum a common problem among students?

As a scientist, I cannot confirm if Rlaydab's question is a common problem among students. However, it is common for students to seek help on forums for difficult math problems.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in math?

One way to improve problem-solving skills in math is to practice regularly and seek help from resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and forums. It is also beneficial to break down problems into smaller, manageable steps and to understand the underlying concepts rather than just memorizing formulas.