RLC Circuit Resonance Frequency for WRUF Broadcast

In summary, the wavelength associated with WRUF's broadcast at 103.7 MHz is 2.89m. To tune to this radio station using an RLC circuit, the resonance frequency would need to be set to 103.7 MHz. This can be achieved by adjusting the capacitance of the circuit, resulting in a maximum potential difference and allowing the station to be received.
elink24

Homework Statement

a) WRUF broadcasts at 103.7 MHz, what is the wavelength associated?

b) If you were to use an RLC circuit to tune to this radio station, what resonance frequency would you tune to?

Homework Equations

f(resonance)= 1/(2[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\sqrt{LC}[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

a) [tex]\lambda[/tex]= C/f
[tex]\lambda[/tex]= (3*10^8)/(103.7*10^6)= 2.89m

b) I was not given any information besides the broadcast frequency, or the wavelength which I obtained. I do not see how I can find the resonant frequency with such limited information. If anyone could give me a prod in the right direction, I'd appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
To receive any radio station, you have to tune the RCL circuit such that its resonance frequency equals the frequency of the radio station.

So the RLC circuit would simply need to be tuned to 103.7 MHz to receive that particular station? Maybe I overthought this...

elink24 said:
So the RLC circuit would simply need to be tuned to 103.7 MHz to receive that particular station? Maybe I overthought this...
When you tune any radio station, actually you are changing capacity of the capacitor of the LCR circuit. When the resonance frequency matches the frequency of the radio station, potential difference across LCR circuit is maximum for that frequency. Thus the station is received.

Oh I see, thanks for your help!

Related to RLC Circuit Resonance Frequency for WRUF Broadcast

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). These components are connected in series or parallel and interact with each other to produce a specific frequency response.

2. What is resonance in an RLC circuit?

Resonance in an RLC circuit occurs when the frequency of the alternating current (AC) source matches the natural frequency of the circuit. This causes the circuit to have a maximum amplitude response and a phase shift of zero degrees.

3. How do you calculate the resonant frequency of an RLC circuit?

The resonant frequency of an RLC circuit can be calculated using the formula: f0 = 1 / (2π√(LC)), where f0 is the resonant frequency, L is the inductance in henries, and C is the capacitance in farads.

4. What is the difference between series and parallel resonance in an RLC circuit?

In series resonance, the inductor and capacitor are connected in series with the AC source, while in parallel resonance, they are connected in parallel. Series resonance results in a high impedance, while parallel resonance results in a low impedance.

5. How is an RLC circuit used in practical applications?

RLC circuits are used in many practical applications, such as in radio and television receivers, electronic filters, and power supplies. They are also used in resonance imaging (MRI) machines and in electronic tuning circuits.