RLC Circuit (solved; but not sure where solution is incorrect)

In summary, the problem involves finding the frequency at which a power supply with ΔVrms = 111 V connected to an RLC circuit with R = 39.5 Ω, L = 157 mH, and C = 73.2 μF will deliver a power of 210 W. The solution involves using the equation P=I(rms)*V(rms) and solving for the root mean square current (I(rms)). However, since the current and voltage may not be in phase, the average power dissipated by the circuit must be used instead, which is given by P_average=(I_RMS)^2*R. With this correction, the correct value for the frequency can be determined.
pious&peevish

Homework Statement

A power supply with ΔVrms = 111 V is connected between points a and d in the figure below. (It's attached to the thread, but the basic idea is that this is an RLC circuit connected in series).

As shown, R = 39.5 Ω, L = 157 mH and C = 73.2 μF. At what frequency will it deliver a power of 210 W? Enter one of the two possible frequencies (in Hz).

Homework Equations

See Part 3 below

The Attempt at a Solution

We are given that P=I(rms)*V(rms), and by substituting in the values given in the problem we have 210 W = I(rms)*(111 V). Therefore our expected value for I(rms) should be 1.892 A.

I(rms)=V(rms)/Z, so 1.892 A = (111 V)/Z and the expected value for Z is 58.67 ohms.

58.67 ohms = √((39.5^2)+((2*pi*f*0.157 H)-(1/(2*pi*f*(73.2*(10^-6) F))^2).

From here, I solved for f, but the value I got was incorrect. I must have missed something somewhere, but I can't see what it is...

Attachments

• serb3364.gif
    serb3364.gif
    961 bytes · Views: 521
Physics news on Phys.org
pious&peevish said:

Homework Statement

A power supply with ΔVrms = 111 V is connected between points a and d in the figure below. (It's attached to the thread, but the basic idea is that this is an RLC circuit connected in series).

As shown, R = 39.5 Ω, L = 157 mH and C = 73.2 μF. At what frequency will it deliver a power of 210 W? Enter one of the two possible frequencies (in Hz).

Homework Equations

See Part 3 below

The Attempt at a Solution

We are given that P=I(rms)*V(rms), and by substituting in the values given in the problem we have 210 W = I(rms)*(111 V). Therefore our expected value for I(rms) should be 1.892 A.

I(rms)=V(rms)/Z, so 1.892 A = (111 V)/Z and the expected value for Z is 58.67 ohms.

58.67 ohms = √((39.5^2)+((2*pi*f*0.157 H)-(1/(2*pi*f*(73.2*(10^-6) F))^2).

From here, I solved for f, but the value I got was incorrect. I must have missed something somewhere, but I can't see what it is...
attachment.php?attachmentid=57409&d=1364954098.gif

P=I(rms)*V(rms) only if the the current and voltage (electric potential) are in phase.

The only element in an RLC circuit which dissipates energy is the resistor. Therefore, the average power dissipated by an RLC circuit is [itex]\displaystyle \ P_\text{Average}=\left(I_\text{RMS}\right)^2R\ .[/itex]

Thanks! So does that mean everything so far is right, except for the expression for power at the very beginning?

EDIT: Never mind -- I got the right answer; thanks!

Last edited:

Related to RLC Circuit (solved; but not sure where solution is incorrect)

1. How does an RLC circuit work?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C). When an AC voltage is applied to the circuit, the current will oscillate back and forth between the inductor and capacitor, creating an oscillating magnetic field. The resistor acts to dampen the oscillations and control the flow of current.

2. What is the difference between a series and parallel RLC circuit?

In a series RLC circuit, all the components are connected in a single loop, while in a parallel RLC circuit, the components are connected in separate branches. In a series circuit, the voltage across each component is the same, while in a parallel circuit, the voltage across each branch is the same.

3. How do you calculate the resonance frequency of an RLC circuit?

The resonance frequency of an RLC circuit can be calculated using the formula f0 = 1/(2π√LC), where f0 is the resonance frequency, L is the inductance, and C is the capacitance.

4. What is the purpose of an RLC circuit in electronics?

RLC circuits are commonly used in electronics as filters, oscillators, and frequency converters. They can also be used to regulate voltage and current in circuits.

5. How do you solve for the current in an RLC circuit?

To solve for the current in an RLC circuit, you can use Kirchhoff's voltage law (KVL) and Ohm's law. KVL states that the sum of the voltages around a closed loop is equal to zero, while Ohm's law states that the current in a circuit is equal to the voltage divided by the resistance. By combining these equations, you can solve for the current in the circuit.