RLC parallel circuit phasors and current

In summary, The conversation is about a physics problem involving different equations and values. The person asking the question is unsure if their solution is correct and provides their attempt at the solution. They also mention a specific question about the amplitude of current and the impedance of L and C in parallel.
gl0ck

Homework Statement

Sorry for the stupid question, but I want to be sure whether everything is correct.
Here is the problem, I think I managed to do all the parts.

2. The attempt at a solution
a)ω=2∏f; ω=4000∏ or 12566.37 rads
b)Xl = ωL = 4000∏x0.004=50.27Ω
c)I1=R x Vac
I2=Xl x Vac
I3=Xc x Vac
d) 3rd Image
e) It is stated that I and Vac are in phase. This can be done only if the two reactances(Xl and Xc ) are equal to each other.
f) C=1.583 x 10^(-6)
g) Here I am not sure that I used the right equation. They ask for the amplitude of the current I. Using the phasor diagram I used I=√((I1)^2+(I3-I2)^2) which gives 0.007, which is I1.

Attachments

• question.jpg
    question.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 391
  • the circuit.jpg
    the circuit.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 417
  • currents.jpg
    currents.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 458
Physics news on Phys.org
gl0ck said:
1. g) Here I am not sure that I used the right equation. They ask for the amplitude of the current I. Using the phasor diagram I used I=√((I1)^2+(I3-I2)^2) which gives 0.007, which is I1.

Since X_L = X_C what does that say about the impedance of L and C in parallel?

Related to RLC parallel circuit phasors and current

1. What is a phasor in an RLC parallel circuit?

A phasor is a vector representation of the amplitude and phase of the current or voltage in an RLC parallel circuit. It is used to simplify the calculations of the circuit's behavior in the frequency domain.

2. How do you calculate the total current in an RLC parallel circuit using phasors?

The total current in an RLC parallel circuit can be calculated by summing the phasor currents of each component, which are found by dividing the voltage by the impedance of each component. The total current will be the magnitude of the resulting vector, and its phase will be the sum of the phases of each component.

3. What is the relationship between the phase angle and the impedance in an RLC parallel circuit?

The phase angle in an RLC parallel circuit is determined by the ratio of the reactance to the resistance of the circuit. As the reactance decreases, the phase angle decreases, indicating that the current is leading the voltage and the circuit is more capacitive. As the reactance increases, the phase angle increases, indicating that the current is lagging the voltage and the circuit is more inductive.

4. How do you find the resonance frequency of an RLC parallel circuit using phasors?

The resonance frequency of an RLC parallel circuit can be found by equating the reactance of the inductor to the reactance of the capacitor, and then solving for the frequency. This frequency will correspond to the peak current and minimum impedance of the circuit.

5. What is the difference between a series and a parallel RLC circuit in terms of phasors and current?

In a series RLC circuit, the phasors of the voltage and current are in the same direction and the total impedance is the sum of the individual impedances. In a parallel RLC circuit, the phasors of the voltage and current are in opposite directions and the total impedance is the reciprocal of the sum of the individual reciprocals of the impedances. Additionally, in a series RLC circuit, the total current is the same through each component, while in a parallel RLC circuit, the total current is the sum of the individual currents through each component.