Rocket Speed: Calculating from Ciolky's Number C

In summary: At a distance r>R from its centre the gravitational field is as though it were a point mass. What is the field at distance r, according to...The gravitational field at a distance r>R from its centre is as though it were a point mass.
Garunekk
Poster is reminded to show their Attempt at a Solution in schoolwork threads

Homework Statement

Hi, I would like to apologie for my bad english, but I will try to write my problem as good as I can.
I have a homework...From one stage rocket with initinial speed [m[/0] Ciolky´s number C are escaping gasses with the speed u.
Let´s assume that weight of the rocket is changing by the formula m=m0*e^(-kt).
Calculate the speed of the rocket in general distance r from the middle of the Earth. Gravity acceleration is changing by the formula a=gR^2/r^2

Homework Equations

To be honest, i really have no idea where to start, and I would really apreciate your help.

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Garunekk said:
Ciolky´s number C
I assume this is a reference to Ciolkowski, but I am unable to find a definition of a number named after him. Is it perhaps the log of the mass ratio, initial to final?

Yes, it is. The result should be

Bez_n_zvu.png

But I have no idea how to get that. I tried it through the Ciolkowski formula, but ..I just do not know..

Garunekk said:
Yes, it is. The result should be

Bez_n_zvu.png

But I have no idea how to get that. I tried it through the Ciolkowski formula, but ..I just do not know..
Ok. But there seems to be something missing here:
Garunekk said:
with initinial speed [m[/0]
Should it say "initial speed u0, initial mass m0"?
When at distance r, what are the forces acting on it? What is the net force? Write some differential equations for distance and mass.

Poster has been reminded to show their Attempt at a Solution in future schoolwork threads
haruspex said:
r, what are the forces acting on it? What is the

Yes, my bad, initial mass, sorry.

The forces acting on it? Gravity force, I guess. ..I am not pretty sure what do you mean by the "net force". And some differential equations..

I got through d/dt=-km0e^(-kt) to m(dv/dt)=-mg+kmu, but, i am lagged now.

Garunekk said:
what do you mean by the "net force".
There is a gravitational force and a thrust from the engine. The vector sum of these is the net force.
Garunekk said:
m(dv/dt)=-mg+kmu
how do you get kmu?

haruspex said:
There is a gravitational force and a thrust from the engine. The vector sum of these is the net force.

how do you get kmu?

Maybe I am totally already useless today, but I got similar example in my study textbook (its from my university, and in Czech language, but i try to post it)
Bez_n_zvu.png

so I tried to solve it in this way, but I am stuck. Hope you will understant that, its just series of the formulas, and the "v" should be the result. But when I try to make my example by that way, i get nowhere. In my example is just lambda=k, and vr=u.

Ok, I just wanted to see how you got m(dv/dt)=-mg+kmu.
Now, that g is the gravitational acceleration at radius r, so should really be written gr to distinguish it from g at Earth's surface. Rewrite it in terms of the surface g, Earth's radius R, an the rocket's radius r.

haruspex said:
Ok, I just wanted to see how you got m(dv/dt)=-mg+kmu.
Now, that g is the gravitational acceleration at radius r, so should really be written gr to distinguish it from g at Earth's surface. Rewrite it in terms of the surface g, Earth's radius R, an the rocket's radius r.

I really appreciate that you help me, but I don't understand you now. I can rewrite ag as ag=H(Mz)/R^2 ...where H is gravity constant and Mz is weight of the earth.

I understand why result looks like it looks. Except the "2".I have no idea where I got it from. But I do not know how to get that result, or from what.

Last edited:
Garunekk said:
I can rewrite ag as ag=H(Mz)/R^2 ...where H is gravity constant and Mz is weight of the earth.
No.
You wrote that the gravitational force on the rocket is mg. What did you mean by g there? If you meant the gravitational acceleration at Earth's surface then that is wrong. The force will diminish as r increases. What will it be in general?

haruspex said:
No.
You wrote that the gravitational force on the rocket is mg. What did you mean by g there? If you meant the gravitational acceleration at Earth's surface then that is wrong. The force will diminish as r increases. What will it be in general?

Here is 2am, and I am mad at myself, sorry. I know it will diminish as r increase. I can write is an (r-R), assuming R is the middle of Earth. Do you mean this?

Garunekk said:
Do you mean this?
No. For a uniform sphere mass M radius R, at a distance r>R from its centre the gravitational field is as though it were a point mass. What is the field at distance r, according to Newton?

Related to Rocket Speed: Calculating from Ciolky's Number C

What is Ciolky's Number C?

Ciolky's Number C is a mathematical constant that represents the speed limit of a rocket in a vacuum. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

How is Ciolky's Number C calculated?

Ciolky's Number C is calculated using the formula c = λf, where c is the speed of light, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency. This formula was first derived by physicist James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century.

Why is Ciolky's Number C important in rocket speed calculations?

Ciolky's Number C is important in rocket speed calculations because it represents the maximum achievable speed for a rocket in a vacuum. It is a fundamental constant in physics and is used in various equations and theories, including Einstein's theory of relativity.

Can Ciolky's Number C change?

No, Ciolky's Number C is a constant and does not change. It is considered a fundamental constant in physics and has been measured and verified through numerous experiments and observations.

Are there any limitations to using Ciolky's Number C in rocket speed calculations?

Yes, Ciolky's Number C is only applicable in a vacuum. In real-world scenarios, factors such as air resistance and gravity can affect the speed of a rocket. Additionally, the speed of light is the maximum speed for any object in the universe, so it cannot be exceeded by a rocket.