Rocket Stop Time & Distance: 3.156kg, 28.72 m/s

In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of a rocket with a given speed and weight, and how long it takes for the rocket to come to a stop and the distance it travels in that time. The formula for calculating this is provided, and the concept of drag is briefly mentioned but deemed unnecessary for this calculation. The conversation ends with a suggestion to focus on learning about drag in college.
Max CR
A rocket is moving upwards at 28.72 meters per second. Then, its engines are turned off. How much time will it take for it to come to a stop if it is traveling upwards exactly straight? Also, how far would the rocket have had traveled after its engines were shut off? The weight of the rocket is 3.156 kilograms.

Thanks. This is a personal project that I am working on and is not a homework question.

Physics news on Phys.org

Ignoring air resistance it's quite easy - including air resistance is a little trickier but possible if you don't mind some programming or a spreadsheet.

Any falling object accelerates at the same rate 9.8m/s^2 and any rising object (once the motor has stopped) slows by 9.8m/s^2

Then it's simply v=u+at since v=0 when it stops you simply have t = 0-28.72/-9.8 = 2.9s

Ok great. That told me how long it will take. Now i just need to know how far it will travel in those 2.9 seconds. Thanks

Any ideas?

Ok. I believe i found a formula but I am not sure. The formula is

d = v^2/2ug = (28.72 m/s)^2/2(9.8 m/s) = 42.08 meters

Is this correct?

Yes the equation is normally written as, V^2=U^2 + 2 g s
Again v=0 and u=28.72m/s g=9.8m/s/s
There is a sticky in the intro physics with all these equations

Ok. I have the following

0 = (28.72 m/s)^2 + 2(9.8 m/s)(2.9 seconds)

Now how do I find how far the rocket traveled? I am trying to figuer out how far the rocket will travel in the 2.9 seconds that it takes for it to stop and come back to the ground.

Thanks

Sorry 's' is displacement ie. distance (for slightly complicated reasons)
0 = (28.72 m/s)^2 + 2(9.8 m/s/s) * distance
so rearranged
distance = 0-(28.72 m/s)^2 / 2 * (9.8 m/s/s) = 42.08m

This is the distance up (ie until speed is zero) the total time and total distance is twice this.

You can also take the average speed, since the acceleration is constant: (28.72)/2*2.9

Perfect! Thank you!

OK. But you can't neglect drag.

Ok now how do I calculate drag?

Phrak said:
OK. But you can't neglect drag.

The guy doesn't even know basic kinematics and you're suggesting he calculate drag?

Don't worry about drag, it's a much, much more complicated creature and in most cases makes little to no difference.

Oh good. I am glad to hear that I don't have to redo all of the calculations regarding the rockets altitude. Haha. Thanks.

I will learn how to calculate drag later in my college years. Thanks though.

maverick_starstrider said:
The guy doesn't even know basic kinematics and you're suggesting he calculate drag?

Don't worry about drag, it's a much, much more complicated creature and in most cases makes little to no difference.

It's a rocket not a rock.

...and why would you think I'm asked the OP to answer his own question?

Last edited:

FAQ: Rocket Stop Time & Distance: 3.156kg, 28.72 m/s

1. How does the mass of the rocket affect the stop time and distance?

The mass of the rocket does not directly affect the stop time and distance. However, a heavier rocket may require more force to stop it, resulting in a longer stop time and distance compared to a lighter rocket.

2. What is the significance of the given velocity of 28.72 m/s?

The velocity of 28.72 m/s refers to the initial speed of the rocket. This information is necessary for calculating the rocket's stop time and distance.

3. Can the stop time and distance be accurately predicted based on the given information?

Yes, the stop time and distance can be accurately predicted using the given information, as long as there are no external factors such as air resistance or friction that may affect the actual results.

4. How can the stop time and distance of the rocket be measured?

The stop time and distance of the rocket can be measured by using a stopwatch and measuring the time it takes for the rocket to come to a complete stop, as well as measuring the distance the rocket has traveled during that time.

5. What other factors may affect the stop time and distance of a rocket?

Other factors that may affect the stop time and distance of a rocket include air resistance, gravity, and the surface on which the rocket is traveling. These factors may alter the rocket's velocity and require additional calculations to accurately predict the stop time and distance.

Back