Rod with current and magnetic field

In summary: Good luck with your studies!In summary, a rod of mass m and radius R carrying a current I and rolling on two parallel rails separated by a distance d and length L, is subjected to a uniform magnetic field B directed downwards. Using the equations for force and torque, the speed of the rod as it leaves the rails can be calculated by equating the work done by the force on the rod to its kinetic energy. The resulting equation does not include the radius of the rod, showing that it does not affect the final speed. The final answer is v = 2/sqrt(3) sqrt(IdBL/m).
gsquare567

Homework Statement

A rod of mass m and radius R rests on two parallel rails that are a distance d apart and have a length L. The rod carries a current I and rolls along the rails without slipping. A uniform magnetic field B is directed perpendicular to the road and the rails, pointing downwards. If it starts from rest, what is the speed of the rod as it leaves the rails.

Homework Equations

(1) F = I L x B = ma
(2) torque = r x F

The Attempt at a Solution

By subbing in the given constants into (1), I get a = IdB/m. However, I think that I need to use equation 2 instead. I am wondering how to relate the torque on the rod to the velocity of the rod. I don't think the the acceleration I got applies to the rod, because it receives its motion due to torque, rather than just the magnetic force.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It could be done with force and torque, but I think the easier way is to
- calculate the force on the rod and work done over the distance L
- work = linear kinetic energy + rotational energy
- solve for v, which will appear in both energy terms

ok, let me see if i got it straight:

W = Krotational + Ktranslational = 1/2Iw^2 + 1/2mv^2 = 1/2(1/2mR^2)(v/R)^2 + 1/2mv^2 = 3/4mv^2
and
W = F * d = (IdB)(L)
so
3/4mv^2 = IdBL
v = 2/sqrt(3) sqrt(IdBL/m)
now my question is, why doesn't the radius of the rod, R, matter? did i use the right moment of inertia and angular velocity?

It looks correct to me. The calculation itself "explains" why R doesn't appear in the answer I guess. A wee bit surprising, though.

Interesting. Thanks for all your help!

Most welcome.

Related to Rod with current and magnetic field

1. What is a rod with current and magnetic field?

A rod with current and magnetic field is a physical object made of conductive material (such as copper or aluminum) that has an electric current flowing through it, creating a magnetic field around the rod.

2. How does a rod with current and magnetic field work?

A rod with current and magnetic field works based on the principles of electromagnetism. When electric current flows through the rod, it creates a magnetic field around the rod. The strength and direction of the magnetic field can be controlled by changing the amount and direction of the electric current.

3. What are the applications of a rod with current and magnetic field?

A rod with current and magnetic field has many practical applications, including electric motors and generators, transformers, and magnetic sensors. It is also used in medical imaging technologies such as MRI machines.

4. How is the magnetic field strength of a rod with current and magnetic field measured?

The magnetic field strength of a rod with current and magnetic field can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device can detect and measure the strength and direction of the magnetic field around the rod.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when working with a rod with current and magnetic field?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when working with a rod with current and magnetic field. The electric current flowing through the rod can be dangerous, so it is important to handle it with caution and wear protective gear. It is also important to keep the rod away from electronic devices, as the magnetic field can interfere with their functioning.