Rodney King Dead: Accidental Drowning at Age 47

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
In summary: You know he was arrested multiple times for beating women? Not to mention the various drug and theft related crimes he has been arrested for, both before and after his beating by LAPD. Rodney King was pretty much a scumbag, I don't feel sorry for his death.
zoobyshoe
Early Sunday morning, at age 47, King was found dead at the bottom of his swimming pool in Rialto. Authorities say there was no evidence of foul play and are investigating his death as an accidental drowning.

King's fiancee, Cynthia Kelley, discovered him around 5 in the morning, authorities said. She told investigators that she had been talking to him intermittently through a sliding glass door. At some point she heard a splash, and ran out to find King submerged at the deep end.

Kelley said she could not swim well, so she called 911. When police pulled King out of the water, King showed no signs of life.

From the beginning, King had faltered in his role as a symbol and was tormented by his failings. His stuttering plea for everyone to "get along" during the riots was praised for its earnest intent, yet ridiculed as feckless and naive in relation to such searing, deep-seated anger.

"I never went to school to be 'Rodney King,'" he told The Times two months ago on the 20th anniversary of the riots.

He didn't even use that name much; his family called him by his middle name, Glen.

But whatever the transgressions of his life, he caused, however inadvertently, profound change.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0618-rodney-king-20120618,0,4523043.story

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay. Can't really think of much to say other than that.

Drakkith said:
Okay.

Can't really think of much to say other than that.
I know.

Except, I curious how he happened to drown in a swimming pool. I wonder if they'll find drugs or alcohol in his system.

zoobyshoe said:
I wonder if they'll find drugs or alcohol in his system.
And what if they do?

Dickfore said:
And what if they do?
If they don't, it'll make me wonder how he happened to drown in a swimming pool. Like, did he dive in and crack his head on the bottom?

zoobyshoe said:
If they don't, it'll make me wonder how he happened to drown in a swimming pool.

I'm thinking it was the water.

RIP Rodney King.

nucl34rgg said:
RIP Rodney King.

You know he was arrested multiple times for beating women? Not to mention the various drug and theft related crimes he has been arrested for, both before and after his beating by LAPD. Rodney King was pretty much a scumbag, I don't feel sorry for his death.

Related to Rodney King Dead: Accidental Drowning at Age 47

1. Who was Rodney King and what happened to him?

Rodney King was a black man who became known internationally after being brutally beaten by four white police officers in Los Angeles in 1991. He later won a civil lawsuit against the officers and the incident sparked widespread outrage and protests about police brutality and racial injustice.

On June 17, 2012, King was found dead at the bottom of a swimming pool in his home in Rialto, California. An autopsy later revealed that he died from accidental drowning.

2. Was Rodney King under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of his death?

According to the toxicology report, King had a blood alcohol level of 0.06% at the time of his death, which is below the legal limit for driving. However, he also had traces of cocaine, marijuana, and PCP in his system. It is unclear if these substances played a role in his death.

3. Did anyone face consequences for Rodney King's death?

No one faced criminal charges for King's death. However, the police department conducted an internal review and found that the responding officers did not follow proper protocol in responding to the incident. They were later disciplined and ultimately resigned from the police force.

4. What impact did Rodney King's death have on society?

Rodney King's death, along with his beating in 1991, sparked important conversations and protests about police brutality and racial injustice in the United States. It also brought attention to the issue of excessive force used by law enforcement against people of color.

5. What is the legacy of Rodney King?

Rodney King's legacy is one of resilience and activism. Despite the trauma he experienced, he continued to advocate for civil rights and spoke out against police brutality. His case also led to changes in police training and policies, as well as increased scrutiny of police actions through the use of video evidence.