Roller coaster car energy problem

In summary: Can you help me figure out why?In summary, the first conversation discusses the downward force exerted on a roller coaster car at the top of a loop, given its mass and the loop's dimensions. The second conversation involves using energy equations to find the distance a spring was compressed in two different scenarios involving blocks of different masses and speeds. However, the incorrect use of equations and variables led to incorrect answers.
nns91

Homework Statement

1. A roller coaster car of mass 1500kg starts a distance H=23m above the bottom of a loop 15m in diameter. If friction is negligible, the downward force the rails on the car when it is upside down at the top of the loop is:
a. 4.6*10^4 N
b.3.1*10^4 N
c.1.7*10^4 N
d. 980N
e.1.6*10^3

2.A block of mass m is pushed up against a spring, compressing it a distance x and the block is then released. The spring projects the block along a frictionless horizontal surface, giving the block a speed v. The same spring projects a second block of mass 4m, giving it a speed 3v. What distance was the spring compressed in the second case ?

Homework Equations

E=(1/2)*k*x^2 + (1/2)*m*v^2 + mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

1. So I wrote out energy equation:

Initial: E=mgh=1500*g*23

Final: E= (1/2)*m*v^2 + mgh = (1500*v^2/2)+ 1500*15*g

then I set them equal and get 23*g= (1/2)*v^2 + 15g then I solve for v^2= 16*g

F=mv^2/2 = 16*9.81*1500 / 7.5 = 31392 N then I chose b. However, I am wrong. can you guys help me identify where did I do wrong ?

2.I also did the same

Initial: E= k*x^2 /2

Final: E= m*v^2 /2

I set them equal and get k*x^2= m*v^2

I substitute 4m for mass and 3v for speed and get k*x^2 = 4m*9v^2

I solved for x= squroot (4*m*9*v^2/k)

My answer was wrong too. I think because it contains k and they don't give k in the givens. How can I fix it ??

Physics news on Phys.org

1. Only the force is asked, not energy.

2. Take compression of the spring as x1 and x2 for the two blocks and write down corresponding equations. Now relate x1 and x2.

1. Right. I figured out the velocity by using energy and I used F=mv^2/r Am I wrong ?

2. I don't quite get what you mean

I still got the wrong answer.

FAQ: Roller coaster car energy problem

1. What is the roller coaster car energy problem?

The roller coaster car energy problem refers to the challenge of designing a roller coaster that can maintain enough kinetic energy to complete the entire track without losing too much energy due to friction and other forces.

2. How is kinetic energy related to roller coaster cars?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. In the case of roller coaster cars, the cars gain kinetic energy as they are pulled up to the top of the first hill and then lose some of that energy as they travel through the twists, turns, and hills of the track.

3. How is potential energy used in roller coasters?

Potential energy is used in roller coasters by converting it into kinetic energy. As the cars are pulled up to the top of the first hill, they gain potential energy. This potential energy is then converted into kinetic energy as the cars race down the hill and through the rest of the track.

4. What factors affect the energy of a roller coaster car?

The main factors that affect the energy of a roller coaster car are the height of the first hill, the speed at which the car is released, the friction between the car and the track, and any other forces acting on the car, such as air resistance or magnetic propulsion.

5. How can the energy problem be addressed in roller coaster design?

The energy problem can be addressed in roller coaster design by carefully adjusting the height and shape of the hills, minimizing friction through smooth track design and lubrication, and using efficient energy transfer mechanisms, such as magnetic propulsion or flywheels.

Back