Roller-coaster conservation energy

In summary, the conversation involves a student struggling with a roller coaster lab in their physics class. They have successfully found the initial height and velocity of the coaster, but have encountered difficulties when trying to complete the coaster using marbles. Their teacher has asked them to extend the initial hill, and now they are trying to calculate the percentage increase in the starting point height. The student suggests using percent error, but is unsure of their calculation and is seeking help. The summary also includes a suggested solution of increasing the initial height by 1.1 meters, resulting in a nearly 300% increase from the original starting point.
Havenater23

Homework Statement

So I am doing this roller coaster lab in my physics class and I'm having some problems.
You have to find the initial height of a hill and initial velocity; which was easy and I found this out.
PEi = PEf+KEf
m*9.8*h i = m*9.8*0.4572 + 1/2*m*(1.5m/s)^2
m's cancel
assume everything I have put in there is correct. The answer to H(i)=0.57
Even though we got this , our roller coaster using marbles does not complete this. So we had to extend the initial hill ; which is what our teacher wanted us to do. We extended it 1.1 more meters. So now it asked for the percentage to raise the starting point.
Which we did , we used the percent error but we keep getting like 64%
Help would be nice
Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Slightly confusing, I'll give it a shot.

Your initial calculations don't allow for losses so you're going to need more height.

Which you've got, OK.

So far as the "percentage to raise the starting point" goes, surely that would be how much you've increased the starting point height by?

In which case, your initial height is 0.57m. Your new height is 0.57 + 1.1 = 1.67m.

So the percentage increase is nearly 300% - it is nearly 3 times higher than the original starting point.

Related to Roller-coaster conservation energy

What is roller-coaster conservation energy?

Roller-coaster conservation energy refers to the principle of conserving the energy of a roller-coaster ride by converting potential energy into kinetic energy and vice versa.

How does conservation of energy apply to roller-coasters?

Conservation of energy applies to roller-coasters because the law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. This means that the potential energy at the top of a roller-coaster is converted into kinetic energy as the roller-coaster goes down, and then back into potential energy as it goes up again.

Why is conservation of energy important in roller-coasters?

Conservation of energy is important in roller-coasters because it ensures that the ride is safe and sustainable. Without conservation of energy, the roller-coaster would not be able to complete the entire ride and could potentially cause harm to riders.

What factors affect the conservation of energy in a roller-coaster?

The main factors that affect the conservation of energy in a roller-coaster are the height of the ride, the speed of the ride, and the design of the track. The higher the initial potential energy, the longer and more thrilling the ride will be.

How can conservation of energy be improved in roller-coasters?

Conservation of energy can be improved in roller-coasters by using more efficient materials and designs for the track and train, as well as implementing technologies such as regenerative braking which can convert some of the kinetic energy back into potential energy. Regular maintenance and upkeep of the roller-coaster is also important in ensuring efficient conservation of energy.