Rollercoaster normal force question

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the force exerted on a passenger standing inside a rotating amusement park ride called The Roundup. The first question asks for the force on a passenger with a mass of 52.0kg at the top of the ride, while the second question asks for the longest rotation period that will prevent the passengers from falling off at the top. The relevant equation used is F_c = (m*v^2)/r, and the calculation of velocity requires finding the angular velocity using the equation omega = 2*pi/T. The correct equation for calculating the force exerted by the rotating ring is F_c = M*R*omega^2.
leejos16

Homework Statement

In an amusement park ride called The Roundup, passengers stand inside a 19.0m -diameter rotating ring. After the ring has acquired sufficient speed, it tilts into a vertical plane, as shown in the figure

1. Suppose the ring rotates once every 5.50s . If a rider's mass is 52.0kg , with how much force does the ring push on her at the top of the ride?

2. What is the longest rotation period of the wheel that will prevent the riders from falling off at the top?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure that I have to use the equation n=m(v^2)/r - mg to get the force, but I keep getting the wrong answer HelP~

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well hello Leejos, welcome to PF :smile:

The way things work here is you can get top notch assistance -- provided you make an effort yourself too, and show it.

##F_c = {m\;v^2\over r}## is a good start and you can list it under 2. relevant equations. You have m, you have r but you need another equation to get a grip on v. What could that be ? And then you can calculate an ##F_c##, but how does that relate to the force the ring exercises on the person ?

Try relating time period to centrifugal force, without using v
Using ##\omega##,, any idea?

OK first I did 5.50rps*2*pi*9.5 to get velocity. Than I used it in the equation n=52kg(328m/s)^2/9.5 - (52*9.8)
Is something wrong?

No YES! 5.5 s/turn is not the same as 5.5 turns per second !

Except I hadn't seen that equation before in this thread. But it's the right one.

But that's because I didn't read carefully enough o:)
I am now so brainwashed that I look for relevant equations under relevant equations.
And for attempt at solution I look under attempt at solution :wink:

hmm then are you saying that my velocity is wrong then? Any suggesstions how to solve it then?

See post #5.

Leejos, if your have so much trouble finding v.
try ##find \omega## from the given time $$\omega = \frac{2 \pi}{T}$$
then use
$$F_c = MR\omega²$$

Last edited:

Related to Rollercoaster normal force question

1. What is normal force on a rollercoaster?

The normal force on a rollercoaster is the force that is exerted by the track onto the car and its passengers. It is perpendicular to the surface of the track and helps to keep the car on the track during its movements.

2. How is normal force calculated on a rollercoaster?

The normal force on a rollercoaster can be calculated by using the formula FN = -mv2/r, where m is the mass of the car, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the track at that particular point.

3. What factors affect the normal force on a rollercoaster?

The normal force on a rollercoaster can be affected by various factors such as the speed of the car, the shape and angle of the track, and the weight of the passengers in the car. Changes in any of these factors can result in a change in the normal force.

4. Why is normal force important on a rollercoaster?

The normal force is important on a rollercoaster because it is what keeps the car from flying off the track during its movements. Without the normal force, the car and its passengers would not be able to experience the thrilling drops, twists, and turns of a rollercoaster ride.

5. How does normal force affect the experience of a rollercoaster ride?

The normal force can greatly affect the experience of a rollercoaster ride. It is responsible for the sensations of weightlessness and heaviness that riders feel during different parts of the ride. It also plays a role in the overall safety and smoothness of the ride.