Rolle's theorem -> Differentiability

In summary: No. Saying that a function is "defined and continuous" on a domain does NOT mean that it is differentiable on the interval. For example, |x| is "defined and continuous" for all x but is not differentiable at x= 0.
Spiralshell

Homework Statement

So I'm doing problems where I have to verify Rolle's hypotheses. I am only having trouble with the differentiability part. My professor wants me to prove this. So for example,
f(x)=√(x)-(1/3)x [0,9]

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

1.) I know the function is continuous because root functions are continuous on their domains and polynomials are continuous everywhere therefore the difference of two continuous functions is continuous.

2.) What could I say about it being differentiable?
My GUESS: it is defined everywhere on its domain [0,9] and continuous it is therefore differentiable on its domain [0,9]?

I am only stuck on 2.) so no need to go further on the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Saying that a function is "defined and continuous" on a domain does NOT mean that it is differentiable on the interval. For example, |x| is "defined and continuous" for all x but is not differentiable at x= 0.

It's hard to tell you how you should answer this without knowing what you about derivatives. IF you know that the derivative of [itex]x^n[/itex] is [itex]nx^{n-1}[/itex] then it should be easy to tell what the derivative of [itex]x^{1/2}- x/3[/itex] is and so where it is differentiable.

(It is NOT differentiable on [0, 1] but Rolle's theorem does not require it to be.)

I know the derivative to the function. I also know chain rule and the limit definition as well quotient rule, etc. So the way my professor explained is that I have to verify I can differentiate over the interval given. In this case [0,9].

So I know f'(x)=1/(2√x)-(1/3)

I just don't understand how I verify that is differentiable over [0,9].

Here is how he gave me Rolle's Theorem (very simply):
1.) f is continuous on [a,b] (Prove it!)
2.) f is differentiable on (a,b) (Prove it!)
3.) f(a)=f(b) then if all 3 conditions are met a<c<b such that c belongs to (a,b) and that f'(c)=0.

I hope this helps you understand my situation. I am only stuck on 2.)... The rest is I understand.

Also, thank you for replying. I appreciate all the help I can get.

Spiralshell said:
I know the derivative to the function. I also know chain rule and the limit definition as well quotient rule, etc. So the way my professor explained is that I have to verify I can differentiate over the interval given. In this case [0,9].

So I know f'(x)=1/(2√x)-(1/3)

I just don't understand how I verify that is differentiable over [0,9].
Well, you have computed a formula for the derivative. Are there any values of ##x## in ##[0,9]## that cause problems?

Related to Rolle's theorem -> Differentiability

1. What is Rolle's theorem?

Rolle's theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, and the function's values at the endpoints of the interval are equal, then there exists at least one point within the interval where the derivative of the function is equal to zero.

2. What is the significance of Rolle's theorem?

Rolle's theorem is important because it provides a necessary condition for a function to have a horizontal tangent line or a critical point within an interval. This can be useful in determining the behavior of a function and finding its extrema.

3. How is Rolle's theorem related to the concept of differentiability?

Rolle's theorem is directly related to the concept of differentiability because it requires a function to be differentiable on the open interval in order for the theorem to hold. This means that the function must have a well-defined derivative at every point within the interval.

4. Can Rolle's theorem be applied to non-differentiable functions?

No, Rolle's theorem only applies to differentiable functions. If a function is not differentiable at a point within the interval, then the theorem does not hold and we cannot guarantee the existence of a point where the derivative is equal to zero.

5. Are there any limitations to using Rolle's theorem?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Rolle's theorem. It only applies to continuous and differentiable functions on a closed interval, and it can only guarantee the existence of one point where the derivative is equal to zero. Additionally, it does not provide any information about the location or value of the critical point.