Romeo's Pebbles - A Zero Horizontal Acceleration Problem

In summary, Romeo is trying to hit Juliet's window with pebbles as gently as possible. He is located 8.50 m from the base of the wall and 7.90 m from the window. The pebbles are going at a speed of 0 m/s when they hit the window. The hang time is 7.9 seconds, and the constant velocity is 1.08 m/s.
EcKoh

Homework Statement

Romeo is chucking pebbles as gently as he can up to Juliet's window. That is, he wants the pebbles to hit the wendow with the least possible speed. He is standing at the edge of a rose garden at Dv = 7.90 m below her window and at Dh = 8.50 m from the base of the wall. How fast are the pebbles going when they hit her window?

Homework Equations

Vf = Vi + adv (to find initial velocity)
Vf = Vi + at (to find hang time)
Dh = Vht (to find constant horizontal velocity)

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I'm assuming I did everything right, so I'm not sure where I went wrong but here are the steps I took in my attempt:

3.1: List knowns and unknowns:

Knowns:
Vf = 0 m/s
a = -9.8 m/s2
Dv = 7.90 m
DH = 8.50 m

Unknowns:
Vi = ?

3.2: Find the initial velocity:

Vf = Vi + adv
(0) = Vi + (-9.8)(7.90)
Vi = 77.42

3.3: Find hang time:

Vf = Vi + at
(0) = (77.42) + (-9.8)t
-77.42 = -9.8t
t = 7.9s <-- (maybe I went wrong here? I noticed that's the same as Dv

3.4: Find constant velocity:

Dh = Vht
(8.50) = Vh(7.9)
Vh = 1.08

So 1.08 m/s turns out to be the wrong answer, and I keep going back and reworking it but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Its due online tonight in just a few hours, but either way it's driving me crazy so I just want to know what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi EcKoh, welcome to PF.
In the relevant equations, the first equation is wrong. Check that.

Yes, vf != v0 + ad, rather, v^2 = v0^2 +2ad

What you are doing wrong is treat this two dimensional problem as if it were one-dimensional. You need to write the vertical and horizontal equations of motion. Then you need to consider at what part of the trajectory the speed is a minimum. Also, your equation
vf=vi+adv is incorrect.

Thanks guys, I corrected the formula and was able to get a correct answer of 6.69 m/s

FAQ: Romeo's Pebbles - A Zero Horizontal Acceleration Problem

1. What is the concept behind Romeo's Pebbles - A Zero Horizontal Acceleration Problem?

The concept behind Romeo's Pebbles - A Zero Horizontal Acceleration Problem is to determine the minimum initial velocity needed for a pebble to land in a specific location when thrown from a cliff with no horizontal acceleration.

2. How is this problem related to physics?

This problem is related to physics as it involves the concepts of projectile motion and the absence of horizontal acceleration.

3. What are the key parameters involved in solving this problem?

The key parameters involved in solving this problem are the initial velocity, angle of projection, height of the cliff, and the location of the target.

4. How is this problem solved?

This problem can be solved using the equations of projectile motion, which take into account the initial velocity, angle of projection, and height of the cliff.

5. What are the real-life applications of this problem?

The understanding of projectile motion and zero horizontal acceleration has real-life applications in fields such as sports, engineering, and ballistics. It can be used to calculate the trajectory of a thrown object, the range of a projectile, and the motion of a projectile in the absence of air resistance.

Back